View Single Post
Old 12-07-2015, 07:47 AM   #9
Leaf
Haunting Spirit

Leaf is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigūr View Post
I think you make a good point in terms of the irrevocable and absolutist nature of the evil will. Note that one the earliest and most primal instances of "evil" in the narrative of the legendarium is Melkor's desire "to have subjects and servants, and to be called Lord, and to be a master over other wills." [The Silmarillion That desire to control is arguably an evil motive.

Correspondingly, because, as Inzil has observed, evil brings about good, evil is innately to some degree self-destructive. Thus, I would argue, it is within that sphere for the "controlling" element of evil to be self-destructive. Thus the Ring's proclivity towards certainty and the absolute contributes to its own destruction.
You are right, one can already find this motif in the earliest stages of Tolkien's works. You can trace this particular motif back right to the beginning, the Ainulindalė, when Illśvatar declared "that no theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me, nor can any alter the music in my despise. For he that attempteth this shall prove but mine instrument in the devising of things more wonderful, which he himself hath not imagined."

@ Faramir Jones

It's certainly interesting what the author thinks about his own creation. I usually refrain from researching Tolkien's letters because I think that the authors conscious intentions are only of secondary interest. Although, never the less, thanks for that perspective!

Last edited by Leaf; 12-07-2015 at 07:53 AM.
Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote