View Single Post
Old 04-09-2006, 06:30 PM   #203
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
Garstan felt himself relax at Linduial's welcoming words. Daughter of Lord Farlen of Dol Amroth? He thought that he had heard the name before. But where? Garstan had no memory for names, but this was strangely familiar. He resolved to ponder the mystery later. The more practical matter of introductions still needed attention.

"I am Garstan, at your service, my lady. I am a stoneshaper out of the north of Rohan, journeying to Edoras in search of work." He smiled grimly. "There are few places to ply my trade in the far reaches of the Wold. A stove here, a wall there, and there's nothing more to be done." Garstan paused, fearing that tales of his journeys through Rohan would bore - were already boring - the Lady from Dol Amroth. He returned to pleasantries. "My thanks for your kindness to my daughter. Too often her high-spirits are taken for ill-manners."

They arrived at the entrance to the hall. Hoping to find the correct protocol, and hoping that he wouldn't look too ridiculous, he caught the door and held it open for Linduial with a slight bow. He couldn't tell if the faint smile that crossed her face in response was out of acknowledgment or amusement. Four years of crisscrossing Rohan with only his children for company had caused him to forget many of the niceties of social convention.

They entered an area of the hall devoted to guestrooms, and Garstan selected the room nearest the entrance to the great hall. He surmised that most of his work would take place there or in the kitchen, and he had no wish to disturb the other guests on his way to and from the work site. Garstan gave a word of thanks to Linduial and watched as she headed back outdoors.

It was only after she left that Garstan recalled where he had heard of Lord Farlen. From a herald, announcing the marriage of King Éomer and Queen Lothiriel. He stood in stunned silence in his room, the sound of his children's laughter drifting in from the yard.