View Single Post
Old 04-14-2006, 06:55 AM   #216
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
“They treat their horses well, whatever else may be said of them,” answered Léof slowly, “or at least Larswic sees to it that the boys do. Whether that is simply because they intend to sell them, I do not know. But…” The truth was, Léof’s initial misgivings had not been eased, but rather settled into uncertain feelings of unease. He still had little to back up these feelings, and for this reason hesitated. He may be suffering from nothing more than paranoia.

“You may speak your mind freely here,” said Eodwine.

“I have had little contact with Larswic himself,” began Léof, “although I have noticed that he is rather close-fisted with his coin. A small tip is not uncommon, and he certainly has many horses, but I have received neither tip nor thanks. Not that I’m complaining,” he hastily added. “It was just an observation. In fact, the way he lets his boys have such free rein in the stables, having them guard their horses and the like, I wonder if he notices that I am here at all. As for the boys, I am not comfortable with them. They seemed to come in here with an attitude of sizing the place and me up. Since then, I have not seen much else from them except confidence, quite like they belonged here, so whether I was imagining it, or if they have since decided that I am not a threat, I do not know.” A doleful glance was sent towards his foot. He certainly would not be much of a threat to them, not physically. “Responsibility does not seem to be one of their virtues, either,” he added, thinking again of the previous night. “Larswic seems to keep a pretty tight hold on them and they listen, but when he doesn’t…” He shrugged. Irresponsible or simply idiotic, Léof didn’t suppose it made a notable difference.

Eodwine appeared thoughtful. “Léof, I would like you to keep an eye on those three. They do not seem to have noticed you much, which is good. I would be grateful if you would report to me if you see or hear anything that seems suspicious or makes you uncomfortable.”

Léof was rather surprised, and his mind worked quickly. He guessed that he was not the only one uneasy with these newcomers, and this heightened his confidence in his own observations. He nodded. “Aye, sir, I can do that. Is there anything else?”

“Not for now. If a healer is needed, I or someone else will let you know.”

Recognizing the dismissal, Léof said, “I will be in the stables.” He made his way back out there to begin feeding, wondering what the day would bring.