View Single Post
Old 04-16-2006, 07:16 PM   #230
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
"Because I can."

She did not take her eyes away from his. He frowned, befuddled. That was no answer, and she knew it. His first thought was to say to himself, Women! and all then to latch onto that all the cantankerous nonsense that went with such a single worded casting of blame in the face of doubt. Her eyes, which he had not taken his own from, were tired. She sneezed again, but brought her eyes back to his.

A sudden linking of thoughts came to him. She knew she was working too hard, but did so anyway. What drive could there be for her, who so loved to play, to work so hard? It must be his oath. What else could it be?

"If you are working overhard because I swore to guard you against your older brother, you're being foolish. I need not your payment in overwork. You are of greater worth to yourself, and to me, sound of mind and body. If that be the why of it, set aside your washrag and bucket and come upstairs with me."

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 04-17-2006 at 08:51 AM.