View Single Post
Old 04-17-2006, 11:16 AM   #232
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Somewhere in the country of the Middle Emnet

Outside the city walls, Thornden found the wind strong, but not terribly overbearing. He hardly thought of it, though, as he rode, for his mind was still lingering on the boy he'd found. He wondered where he came from, and how he got to be in such a state as he was. Were the wounds and broken bones really as bad as they had appeared, or had only the blood made it appear so? Thornden knew well how cuts and bruises could make the damage appear far worse than it really was. If the blood was washed away, perhaps it wouldn't be so bad after all. And they could always set the broken arm. . .

But what if it was worse than he expected? "Come now, Thornden," he told himself harshly. "Keep your mind on your business or you'll befuddle it all." He was approached the first home off the list of names and places that Eodwine had given him. He dismounted at the wooden gate and walked boldly up to the door and knocked. A kindly looking woman opened the door and greeted him rather merrily. He stated his business and though the smile didn't leave her face, she looked somewhat surprise.

"I didn't think they were due yet," she said. She flashed him a quizzical look from her sparkling brown eyes.

"Well, it's not the quarter, if that's what you mean," Thornden admitted. "But I'm not coming for all of the tax. Lord Eodwine needs some of the coin in advance, for he is setting up the Mead Hall, and an accident that happened not four days ago has caused him to over run his own purse. I'm here to gather only the last two month's due."

"Oh, well, if that's the case," she replied, the cloud in her face clearing. "Just wait here and I'll be back. Thendre sets aside coin for such happenings." Thornden nodded and she disappeared inside, leaving the door open. Thornden half turned and looked about the yard as he waited. In a moment she returned, a cloth coin purse in her hand. "Tell me how much you need," she said.

Thornden referred to a slip of paper and then told her the sum. Without question, she poured some of the coins into her right hand, counted them, placed two back within the purse, and handed the rest to the Thornden.

"Thank you very much, ma'am," he said, and bowed slightly. “In return for such payment, the Eorl Eodwine wishes to fulfil some boon or act of justice that you and your husband, may ask for. Likely in a month’s time, his work at the Mead Hall will be completed, and there you are welcome to come and speak with him concerning anything that you would have him hear.”

“Like what, sir?” the woman asked, a twinkle in her eye that may have been described as merry.

“That is best for you to decide,” Thornden answered with a smile. “You know what you need most concerning what the Eorl can give you. If all is not well, for instance, and animals or other such things are being stolen, tell him so, and he will do more to protect you. An unsettled argument, perhaps, between you and a neighboring freeholder he will be able to judge between. And he will judge fairly, I can promise you,” he added, almost on impulse. He knew it to be true and wasn’t going to hide the fact.

"Give our new lord Eodwine our best wishes then, young man," she said, bobbing her head, a new and brighter smile glowing on her face. "And good day to you!"

Thornden was happy that that had gone so well, and he hoped, rather than believed, that the rest of the land owners would give the same sort of reception to his coming.

The next farm was nearly eight miles from the first. Fields of cultivated and plowed lands laid between. Some fields contained livestock, sheep, goats, horses, and sometimes cows. He reached the clump of buildings, dismounted at the barn, and while he made out which one was the house, he tied Flíthaf to the hitching bar. He walked towards the door. It was open, allowing the fresh, morning breeze to flow into the house and Thornden stopped outside and knocked briskly on the door frame.

Last edited by Folwren; 04-26-2006 at 11:00 AM.