View Single Post
Old 04-18-2006, 12:52 PM   #236
Undómë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Undómë has just left Hobbiton.
Away -- Wistan's farm - Dunstede

Rose came round the corner of the hall, pushing the long fine veil of netting away from her face, letting it hang down her back. Her leather gloves were stuck in her belt and she’d taken the ties off from round the wrists of her long sleeved tunic. As well, she had loosed those from her ankles that tied the cuffs of her breeches securely to her boots. She learned long ago that bees were very good at finding an opportunity to sting whoever bothered them. She damped down the little smoker-can she carried and set it down for later use on one of the benches at the end of the hall.

Her cheeks were red from the recent confinement beneath the veil; her brow damp with sweat. She swiped at it with her forearm, pushing the stray hairs plastered there back from her face as she did so. Her hair she’d done up in a twist at the nape of her neck was now undone, and the long dark gold tresses cascaded down her back to her waist.

She heard voices, not too far away. Her mother’s . . . and one other she could not place. A man’s . . . Rose hurried down the length of the hall and found her mother with a look of puzzlement on her face, staring up at a young man. From what she could see, the fellow did not look menacing, but she didn’t like the fact that her mother was alone with him.

‘Sir!’ she called out to him, as she drew near the two.

Cwen’s face brightened at the sight of her daughter. ‘Well, here’s my Rose!’ she said smiling. ‘She’ll get this all sorted out for you.’ She grasped her daughter’s hand and patted it affectionately.

Rose listened as her mother explained how she’d thought this fellow was the one come for the yearling pig . . . but he wasn’t . . . he was someone else altogether . . . not that she knew his name . . . he hadn’t told her yet, or if he had she didn’t recall it . . . but it was something about Lord Eodwine . . . and who was that, dear? . . . and he was needing coin for something as was due but not really yet.

‘Perhaps our guest would like a little refreshment, mother-mine. Why don’t you go back to the hall and set some of the lemon-balm to brewing. And the new crock of honey we gathered yesterday. We will be in directly.’ She watched with a fond look on her face as her mother picked her way back to the hall. Then turning back to the stranger, Rose narrowed her eyes, looking at him in a considering way.

‘You have the advantage of me. I do not know your name, sir.’ She paused for a moment, her brow furrowing. ‘And from the new lord, too? Is that so?’ She held out her hand expectantly toward him. ‘Might I see your papers of authority to transact his business for him?’

Last edited by Undómë; 04-18-2006 at 01:04 PM.