View Single Post
Old 05-28-2002, 10:02 PM   #9
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Quote:
She may be a bit heavy handed on the "post traumatic survivor symptom" theme.
I very much appreciated Ms Milos' analysis of Frodo's wounds and his reponse to them in terms of PTSD. I'm a nurse working on a medical floor of a hospital. Many of my clients are Viet Nam vets & others are survivors of horrific childhood abuse. Sometimes I recognize the same suffering in them that I saw in Frodo. Wounds of the body and wounds of the spirit that never seem to completely heal.

Quote:
In a way, I think this is what Frodo tried to do by sailing to the West. So I see it less as a response to despair or post traumatic defense syndrome, than as a positive step and an attempt to turn the corner on grief.
I, too, think that by Frodo sailing to the West was a positive step for him - a place where he could break from the cycles of despair and pain and have the hope of healing. I often wish my clients could make this choice, to be proactive in a positive manner. But to be honest most of them can only choose to medicate themselves with drugs and alcohol which only drives the despair deeper and lets the hurt fester. I often wonder what might have happened if Frodo had not felt compelled to go into the West - would the severity of his wounding eventually have driven him mad?

I wonder, too, if even his stay in the West ever completely healed his wounds.

Quote:
But even with that positive spin in the earliest drafts, Tolkien still had Frodo sail West. So may be it was just inherent in who he was.
I can agree with this, also. But I see it as not that it was inherent in who he was. I think it was inherent in who he had become. Seer and prophet is how you name him, and I think that is true - He seemed for, or perhaps through, all his hurts, more transparent, as if there were only a thin shell between his Light and the Undying Light of the West. I only hope that his journey brought him some sort of peace and closure.

Quote:
The people who contribute to a new and better world are not unfortunatly the ones who could live and blossom in it
I really like this quote, StoneofVision! It does remind me of the Viet Nam vets I have taken care of. It's as if their experiences have ripped them out of time and they don't mesh well back into it.