View Single Post
Old 04-21-2009, 12:21 PM   #452
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
“Erbrand, come help me with these planks,” laughed Lithor.

Erbrand helped Lithor with the overly large stack of wood in his hands and brought it to Stigend, who as arranging them with Balvir to form a platform. The wood fell with dull clanking as Erbrand tripped and fell over a small stone jutting out of the ground. The wood flew a short distance, some of which hit Lithor in the back of the knee causing him to fall with Erbrand.

“Careful, Erbrand!” Lithor yelled somewhat annoyed at the fright and rubbed his bruised knee. Erbrand made a faint mumble that sounded like an apology and started picking up the planks without a glance at his friend. Something was wrong with him, that much Lithor was sure of—Erbrand was usually cheerful when they were together.

“You alright, Erbrand?”

“Yes,” he said nodding his head. Lithor was obviously not convinced.

“I thought I saw you with Kara, everything alright with her?” Erbrand stood with the planks in his hand and shot an angry glare at Lithor, but the older man’s patient face soon prompted Erbrand to reply.

“Sorry Lithor. Yes, everything is fine with Kara.”

“Doesn’t seem so, what’s ailing you friend?”

Erbrand took deep breath and held it as he remembered Thornden and the old hermit’s interfering words. He handed a plank to Stigend, who then fastened it in place. Lithor waited for a response.

“You know that stranger who came into camp?” Erbrand said at last.

“You mean Scyld?”

“No, an old hermit… well wizard actually,” Lithor raised his brow in surprise when he realized that Erbrand was serious. “Kara and I were talking to him a few moments ago, he handed me something.”

“And this something is the cause of this problem of yours?” Erbrand nodded thoughtfully. “Well, what is it man?” Lithor prodded. Erbrand retrieved the gold ring from his pocket and handed to him. Lithor looked at the gold band thoughtfully for a couple seconds and laughed.

“Don’t let that old threadbare gypsy man get to you. You know that there is nothing to what he suggests,” but the look on Erbrand’s face quickly shut Lithor up.

“I don’t like it when people presume upon my own matters, Lithor. First it was Thornden and now this old wizard. Are my affairs an open book for everyone to scrutinize?”

“Your affairs, or are your affairs Kara?” Erbrand looked at him, mouth open and wide eyed with surprise at the question.

“It was Kara that caused you to fight Thornded as hard as you did in the staff fight. I knew that there was something deeper to cause such a desperate attempt at bashing in his skull and I imagine that you are thinking along the same lines with this wizard fellow. Sooner or later this resisting is going to get you in trouble with Lord Eodwine. It seems you are just looking for a fight, whether it is Crabbanan, Thornden, or whoever this fellow is all because of a girl. You better come to terms with what you are feeling and stop resisting or it will eat away at you until you curl up and die.”

They stood there for a moment looking at each other in uncomfortable silence. Lithor was sounding more like a father talking to a troubled son and it frustrated Erbrand to be lectured by everyone on his own feelings. Lithor seemed equally as frustrated that he gave his short speech; he looked over his shoulder at Stigend and Balvir.

“Stigend, Balvir how about giving a little friendly advice?”

“How about a little help?” Balvir replied sourly as he fastened another plank in place. Lithor assumed his merry self again and chuckled.

“Stigend, don’t tell me that you don’t have a few minutes to spare. Come here, Erbrand is having a dilemma on his hands. It seems that he has… well he has this girl and is unsure about how to go about…”

“How to go about courting her.” Erbrand finished what might have been a wrong presumption on Lithor’s part. He stepped forward and sat down and the platform with his feet dangling off the side.

“You’re married, Stigend, how did you court Modryth?”