View Single Post
Old 05-17-2007, 08:46 AM   #23
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
... Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalië ar Atanatarni, utúlie'n aurë! (The day has come! {Lo}NA-EX-17.1 <CoH Behold>, people of the Eldar and Fathers of Men, the day has come!) And all those who heard his great voice echo in the hills answered crying: Auta i lómë! (The night is passing!)
... And they hewed off Gelmir's {hands and feet}NA-EX-17.2 <CoH arms and legs>, and his head last, within sight of the Elves, and left him.
By ill chance, at that NA-TI-04.2 {place in the outworks}<GA; appended Note 2 point in the outposts> stood Gwindor NA-EX-17.3 <CoH son of Guillin with many folk> of Nargothrond{,}<CoH and indeed he had marched to war with such strength as he could gather because of his grief for the taking of his>{the} brother{ of} Gelmir. Now his wrath was kindled to madness, and he leapt forth on horseback, and many riders with him; and they pursued the heralds and slew them{, and drove on deep into the main host } NA-EX-17.4 <CoH ; and all the folk of Nargothrond followed after, and they drove on deep into the ranks> of Angband. And seeing this all the host of the Noldor was set on fire, and Fingon put on his white helm and sounded his trumpets, and all the host of Hithlum leapt forth from the hills in sudden onslaught.
The light of the drawing of the swords of the Noldor was like a fire in a field of reeds; and so fell and swift was their onset that almost the designs of Morgoth went astray. Before the NA-EX-17.5 <CoH decoying> army that he sent westward could be strengthened it was swept away <CoH and destroyed>, and the banners of Fingon passed over Anfauglith and were raised before the walls of Angband.
Ever in the forefront of that battle went Gwindor and the Elves of Nargothrond, and even now they could not be restrained; and they burst through the NA-EX-17.6 <CoH outer>Gate and slew the guards {upon the very stairs}<CoH within the very courts> of Angband, and Morgoth trembled upon his deep throne, hearing them beat upon his doors. But they were trapped there, and all were slain save Gwindor only, whom they took alive; for Fingon could not come to their aid. By many secret doors in Thangorodrim Morgoth had let issue forth his main host that he held in waiting, and Fingon was beaten back with great loss from the walls> NA-EX-17.7 <CoH of Angband.>
Small additions. In NA-EX-17.2 in CoH the head of Gelmir is not cut of, but I think we can led it stand on the basis of GA. It is also interisting that Gwindor does no longer enter Angband, but only come to the court. The concept of an outer gate has never been heard before, I think.
Quote:
... Turgon restrained most of his people from the rash onslaught. Now he hastened to the aid of his brother; and the Gondolindrim were strong and clad in mail, and their ranks shone like a river of steel in the sun> NA-EX-22.1 <CoH , for the sword and harness of the least of the warriors of Turgon was worth more than the ransom of any king among Men.>
Then Turgon took the counsel of Húrin and Huor, and summoning all that remained of the host of Gondolin and such of Fingon's people as could be gathered he NA-EX-22.2 <CoH gave orders that his host should begin a> retreated towards the Pass of Sirion; and his captains Ecthelion and Glorfindel guarded the flanks to right and left, so that none of the enemy should pass them by <CoH , for the only road in that region was narrow and ran near the west bank of the growing stream Sirion>. But the Men of Dor-lómin held the rearguard, ...
... 'Aurë entuluva! Day shall come again!' Seventy times he uttered that cry; but they took him at last alive, by the command of Morgoth, NA-EX-22.3 <CoHwho thought thus to do him more evil than by death. Therefore> {for} the Orcs grappled him with their hands, ...
NA-TI-04.8 <GA; §241 Great indeed now was the triumph of Morgoth; and his design was accomplished in a manner after his own heart; for Men took the lives of Men, and betrayed the Eldar, and fear and hatred were aroused among those that should have been united against him. From that day indeed began the estrangement of Elves from Men, save only from those of the Three Houses of Bëor, Hador, and Haleth, and their children.
The March of {Maidros}[Maeðros] was no more. The fell sons of Fëanor were broken and wandered far away in the woods as leaves before the wind. The Gorge of Aglon was filled with Orcs, and the Hill of Himring was garrisoned by soldiers of Angband; the pass of Sirion was pierced NA-EX-22.5 { and Tol-sirion retaken and its dread towers rebuilt}. All the gates of Beleriand were in the power of Morgoth. The realm of Fingon was no more. To Hithlum came back never one of Fingon's host, nor any of the Men of Hador, nor any tidings of the battle and the fate of their lords.> NA-EX-22.6 <CoH {Great was the triumph of Morgoth, though} Though all the purposes of Morgoths maliece were not yet accomplished. One thought troubled him deeply and marred his victory with unquiet: Turgon had escaped the net, of all his foes the one whom he most desired to take or destroy. For Turgon of the great house of Fingolfin was now by right King of all the Noldor; and Morgoth feared and hated most the house of Fingolfin, because they had scorned him in Valinor, and had the friendship of Ulmo his foe, and because of the wounds that Fingolfin gave him in battle. And most of all Morgoth feared Turgon, for of old in Valinor his eye had lighted on him, and whenever he drew near a dark shadow had fallen on his spirit, foreboding that in some time that lay yet hidden in doom, from Turgon ruin should come to him.>

NA-EX-22.7 <CoH The Words of Húrin and Morgoth
Now by the command of Morgoth> NA-EX-24 <GA {Now} the Orcs in token of the great triumph of Angband gathered with great labour all the bodies of their enemies that were slain, and all their harness and weapons, and they piled them, Elves and Men, in a NA-EX-24.1 <CoH mound> {great hill} in the midst of the Anfauglith. {Haud-ina-Nengin}[Hauð-en-Nirnaeth] was the name of that mound, and it was like unto a {hill}<CoH great hill that could be seen from afar>. But thither alone in all the desert the grass came, and grew again long and green, and thereafter no {Orc}<CoH servant of Morgoth> dared tread upon the earth beneath which the swords of the Noldor crumbled into rust.>
NA-EX-24.5 <GA, §252 And Morgoth now broke his pledges to the Easterlings that had served him, and denied to them the rich lands of Beleriand which they coveted, and he sent away these evil folk into Hithlum, and there commanded them to dwell NA-EX-24.6 <CoH ; and he shut them in that land and forbade them to leave it. That was all that he gave them of the rich rewards that he had promised them for their treachery to {Maedhros}[Maeðros]: to plunder and harass the old and the children and the womenfolk of Hadors people>. And little though they now loved their new king, yet they despised the remnant of the folk of Hador {(the aged and the women and the children for the most part)}, and they oppressed them, and took their lands and goods, and wedded their women by force, and enslaved their children. And those of the Grey-elves that had dwelt there fled into the mountains, or were taken to the mines of the North and laboured there as thralls.> NA-EX-24.7 <CoH Orcs went freely through all the North and pressed ever shoutward into Beleriand. There> NA-EX-25 <GA Doriath indeed remained, and Nargothrond was hidden, and Círdan held the Havens; but Morgoth gave small heed to them as yet, either for he knew little of them, or because their hour was not yet come in the deep purposes of his malice.> NA-EX-25.01 <CoH But his thought ever returned to Turgon.
Therefore>{but now is to be told only of what befell Húrin son of Galdor, Lord of Dor-lómin, when beside the stream of Rivil he was taken at last alive by the command of Morgoth, and carried off to Angband.
}Húrin was brought before Morgoth, for Morgoth knew by his arts and his spies that Húrin had the friendship of the King of Gondolin; and {he sought to daunt him with his eyes. But Húrin could not yet be daunted, and he defied Morgoth. Therefore Morgoth had him chained and set in slow torment; but after a while he came to him,} NA-EX-25.02 <editorial bridge the Narn tells:
><Lay Said the dread Lord of Hell: __ 'Dauntless Hurin,
stout steel-handed, __ stands before me
yet quick a captive, __ as a coward might be!
Then knows he my name, __ or needs be told
what hope he has __ in the halls of iron? {80}5
The bale most bitter, __ Balrogs' torment!'

Then Húrin answered, __ Hithlum's chieftain -
his shining eyes __ with sheen of fire
in wrath were reddened: __ 'O ruinous one,
by fear unfettered __ I have fought thee long, {85}10
nor dread thee now, __ nor thy demon slaves,
fiends and phantoms, __ thou foe of NA-RG-00.01 {Gods}[the free]!'
His NA-EX-25.03 {dark}[doused] tresses, __ drenched and tangled,
that fell o'er his face __ he flung backward,
in the eye he looked __ of the evil Lord - {90}15
since that day of dread __ to dare his glance
has no mortal Man __ had might of soul.
There the mind of Húrin __ in a mist of dark
neath gaze unfathomed __ groped and foundered,
yet his heart yielded not __ nor his haughty pride. {95}20
But Lungorthin __ Lord of Balrogs
on the mouth smote him, __ and Morgoth smiled:
'Nay, fear when thou feelest, __ when the flames lick thee
and the whistling whips __ thy white body
and wilting flesh __ weal and torture!' {100}25
Then hung they helpless __ Húrin dauntless
in chains by fell __ enchantments forged
that with fiery anguish __ his flesh devoured,
yet loosed not lips __ locked in silence
to pray for pity. __ Thus prisoned saw he {105}30
on the sable walls __ the sultry glare
of far-off fires __ fiercely burning
down deep corridors __ and dark archways
in the blind abysses __ of those bottomless halls;
there with mourning mingled __ mighty tumult {110}35
the throb and thunder __ of the thudding forges'
brazen clangour; __ belched and spouted
flaming furnaces; __ there faces sad
through the glooms glided __ as the gloating Orcs
their captives herded __ under cruel lashes. {115}40
Many a hopeless glance __ on Húrin fell,
for his tearless torment __ many tears were spilled.

Lo! Morgoth remembered __ the mighty doom,
the weird of old, __ that the Elves in woe,
in ruin and wrack __ by the reckless hearts {120}45
of mortal Men __ should be meshed at last;
that treason alone __ of trusted friend
should master the magic __ whose mazes wrapped
the children of NA-RG-00.02 {Cor}[Tirion], __ cheating his purpose,
from defeat fending __ Fingolfin's son, {125}50
Turgon the terrible, __ and the troth-brethren
the sons of Fëanor, __ and secret, far,
homes hid darkly __ in the hoar forest
where Thingol was throned __ in the Thousand Caves.

Then the Lord of Hell __ lying-hearted {130}55
to where Hurin hung __ hastened swiftly,
and the Balrogs about him __ brazen-handed
with flails of flame __ and forged iron
there laughed as they looked __ on his lonely woe;
but Bauglir said: __ 'O bravest of Men, {135}60
'tis fate unfitting __ for thus fellhanded
warrior warfain __ that to worthless friends
his sword he should sell, __ who seek no more
to free him from fetters __ or his fall avenge.
While shrinking in the shadows __ they shake fearful {140}65
in the hungry hills __ hiding outcast
their league belying, __ lurking faithless,
he by evil lot __ in everlasting
dungeons droopeth __ doomed to torment
and anguish endless. __ That thy arms unchained {145}70
I had fainer far __ should a falchion keen
or axe with edge __ eager flaming
wield in warfare __ where the wind bloweth
the banners of battle - __ such a brand as might
in my sounding smithies __ on the smitten anvil {150}75
of glowing steel __ to glad thy soul
be forged and fashioned, __ yea, and fair harness
and mail unmatched - __ than that marred with flails
my mercy waiving __ thou shouldst moan enchained
neath the brazen Balrogs' __ burning scourges: {155}80
who art worthy to win __ reward and honour
as a captain of arms __ when cloven is mail
and shields are shorn, __ when they shake the hosts
of their foes like fire __ in fell onset.
Lo! receive my service; __ forswear hatred, {160}85
ancient enmity __ thus ill-counselled -
I am a mild master __ who remembers well
his servants' deeds. __ A sword of terror
thy hand should hold, __ and a high lordship
as Bauglir's champion, __ chief of Balrogs, {165}90
to lead o'er the lands __ my loud armies,
whose royal array __ I already furnish;
on Turgon the troll __ (who turned to flight
and left thee alone, __ now leaguered fast
in waterless wastes __ and weary mountains) {170}95
my wrath to wreak, __ and on redhanded
NA-RG-00.03 {robber-Gnomes}[robber-Exiles], __ rebels, and roaming Elves,
that forlorn witless __ the Lord of the World
defy in their folly - __ they shall feel my might.
I will bid men unbind thee, __ and thy body comfort! {175}100
Go follow their footsteps __ with fire and steel,
with thy sword go search __ their secret dwellings;
when in triumph victorious __ thou returnest hither,
I have hoards unthought-of' - __ but Húrin Thalion
suffered no longer __ silent wordless; {180}105
through clenched teeth __ in clinging pain,
'O accursed king', __ cried unwavering,
'thy hopes build not __ so high, Bauglir;
no tool am I __ for thy treasons vile,
who tryst nor troth __ ever true holdest- {185}110
seek traitors elsewhere.'

__ __ __ __ __ __ __ Then returned answer
Morgoth amazed __ his mood hiding:
'Nay, madness holds thee; __ thy mind wanders;
my measureless hoards __ are mountains high {190}115
in places secret __ piled uncounted
agelong unopened; __ NA-RG-00.04 {Elfin}[Elven] silver
and gold in the gloom __ there glister pale;
the gems and jewels __ once jealous-warded
in the mansions of the Gods, __ who mourn them yet, {195}120
are mine, and a meed __ I will mete thee thence
of wealth to glut __ the Worm of Greed{.},'>
and he offered him his choice to go free whither he would{, or to receive power and rank as the greatest of Morgoth's captains}, if he would but reveal where Turgon had his stronghold, and aught else that he knew of the King's counsels. ...
NA-EX-22.1 to NA-EX-22.3, NA-EX-22.6, NA-EX-24.1, NA-EX-22.6, NA-EX-224.7, and NA-EX-25.01 are only small additions or changes of wording.
NA-EX-22.7 does change the possition of the headline slightly.
NA-EX-25.02 Here we come to the first text from an older source. I found that the Lay did recount the first conversation and the following torment of Húrin in much more elaborted form. Thus it seems fitting for me to insert it here.
NA-RG-00.01 'Gods' must go here. I changed the sence but hoped to keep up with the aliteration.
NA-EX-25.03 Húrin has no longer 'dark tresses', I hope 'doused' is any good in this place. I am always open for better ideas.
NA-RG-00.02 Does Tirion fit in this line?
NA-EX-00.03 Exiles is good in sence but otherwise?
Quote:
... For this reason they also feared and avoided the mountains, in which many of the Eldar had taken refuge, especially in the south of the land; and after plundering and harrying {they} NA-EX-25.04 <CoH the Easterlings> drew back northwards. ...
... and though they were now aged they were valiant, and they knew well the lands, for they had journeyed often through Beleriand in former times. Thus by fate and courage they passed over the Shadowy Mountains, and coming down into the Vale of Sirion they passed into the Forest of Brethil; and {at last, weary and haggard, they reached the confines of Doriath. But there they became bewildered, and were enmeshed in the mazes of the Queen, and wandered lost amid the pathless trees, until all their food was spent. There they came near to death, for winter came cold from the North; but not so light was Túrin's doom. Even as they lay in despair they heard a horn sounded. Beleg the Strongbow was hunting in that region, for he dwelt ever upon the marches of Doriath, and he was the greatest woodsman of those days. He heard their cries and came to them, and when he had given them food and drink he learned their names and whence they came, and he was filled with wonder and pity.} NA-EX-25.05 <editorial bridge in the Narn it is told:
><Lay The ways were weary __ and woven with deceit
o'er the hills of Hithlum __ to the hidden kingdom
deep in the darkness __ of Doriath's forest,
and never ere now __ for need or wonder
had children of Men __ chosen that pathway, {350}5
save Beren the brave __ who bounds knew not
to his wandering feet __ nor feared the woods
or fells or forest __ or frozen mountain,
and few had followed __ his feet after.
There was told to Túrin __ that tale by NA-RG-00.05 {Halog}[Grithnir] {355}10
that in the Lay of Leithian, __ Release from Bonds,
in linked words __ has long been woven,
of Beren {Ermabwed}[Erchamion], __ the boldhearted;
how Lúthien the lissom __ he loved of yore
in the enchanted forest __ chained with wonder - {360}15
Tinúviel he named her, __ than nightingale
more sweet her voice, _ as veiled in soft
and wavering wisps __ of woven dusk
shot with starlight, __ with shining eyes
she danced like dreams __ of drifting sheen, {365}20
pale-twinkling pearls __ in pools of darkness;
how for love of Lúthien __ he left the woods
on that quest perilous __ men quail to tell,
thrust by Thingol __ o'er the thirst and terror
of the Lands of Mourning; __ of Lúthien's tresses, {370}25
and Melian's magic, __ and the marvellous deeds
that after happened __ in Angband's halls,
and the NA-EX-25.06 {flight}[fear] o'er fell __ and forest pathless
when Carcharoth __ the cruel-fanged,
the wolf-warden __ of the Woeful Gates, {375}30
whose vitals fire __ devoured in torment
NA-EX-25.07 {them}[there] hunted howling __ (the hand of Beren
he had bitten from the wrist __ where that brave one held
the nameless wonder, __ the NA-RG-00.06 {Gnome}[Elven]-crystal
where light living __ was locked enchanted, {380}35
all hue's essence. __ His heart was eaten,
and the woods were filled __ with wild madness
in his dreadful torment, __ and Doriath's trees
did shudder darkly __ in the shrieking glens);
how the hound of NA-RG-00.07 {Hithlum}[Valinor], __ Huan wolf-bane, {385}40
to the hunt hasted __ to the help of Thingol,
and as dawn came dimly __ in Doriath's woods
was the slayer slain, __ but silent lay
there Beren bleeding __ nigh brought to death,
till the lips of Lúthien __ in love's despair {390}45
awoke him to words, __ ere he winged afar
to the long awaiting; __ thence Lúthien won him,
the Elf-maiden, __ and the arts of Melian,
her mother Mablui __ of the moonlit hand,
that they dwell for ever __ in days ageless {395}50
and the grass greys not __ in the green forest
where East or West __ they ever wander.
Then a song he made them __ for sorrow's lightening,
a sudden sweetness __ in the silent wood,
that is 'Light as Leaf __ on Linden' called, {400}55
whose music of mirth __ and mourning blended
yet in hearts does echo. __ This did NA-RG-00.08 {Halog}[the henchman] sing them:

The grass was very long and thin,
__ Since Beren came to Doriath.

This for hearts' uplifting __ did NA-RG-00.09 {Halog}[the henchman] sing them {485}130
as the frowning fortress __ of the forest clasped them
Without bread or water __ with bleeding feet
and fainting strength __ in the forest straying
their death they deemed it __ to die forwandered,
when they heard a horn __ that hooted afar
and dogs baying{.}, __ NA-EX-25.08 <Narn {but not so light was Túrin's doom}but Túrin’s dome being 155
not so lightly brought. __
> Lo! the dreary bents {510}
and hushed hollows __ to the hunt wakened,
and echoes answered __ to eager tongues,
'Who are ye?' he asked. __ 'Outlaws, maybe,
hiding, hunted, __ by hatred dogged?' 170

'Nay, for famine and thirst __ we faint,' said NA-RG-00.10{Halog}[Grithnir], {525}
'wayworn and wildered, __ and wot not the road.
Then Beleg bade them __ be blithe, saying:
NA-RG-00.11 ‘{The Gods have}[Good you] guided[ the boy,] __ {you} to {good}[grand] keeping;
I have heard of the house __ of Húrin undaunted, 185
and who hath not heard __ of the hills of slain, {540}
of {Nirnaith Ornoth}[Nirnaeth Arnoediad], __ Unnumbered Tears!
To that war I went NA-EX-25.09{not, __ yet}[, __ and still} wage a feud
with the Orcs unending, __ whom mine arrows fleeting
smite oft unseen __ swift and deadly. 190
I am the hunter Beleg __ of the hidden people; {545}
the forest is my NA-EX-25.11{father}[fort] __ and the fells my home.'>
And he looked with liking upon Túrin, for he had the beauty of his mother and the eyes of his father, and he was sturdy and strong.
‘What boon would you have of King Thingol?’ said Beleg to the boy.
‘I would be one of his knights, to ride against Morgoth, and avenge my father,’ said Túrin.
‘That may well be, when the years have increased you,’ said Beleg. ‘For though you are yet small you have the makings of a valiant man, worthy to be a son of Húrin the Steadfast, if that were possible.’ For the name of Húrin was held in honour in all the lands of the Elves. NA-EX-25.12 <editorial bridge in the Narn it is told:
><Lay Then he bade them drink __ from his belt drawing
a flask of leather __ full-filled with wine
that is bruised from the berries __ of the burning South -
the NA-RG-00.12{Gnome-folk}[Noldor] know it, __ from Nogrod the Dwarves {540}
by long ways lead it __ to the lands of the North 5
for the Elves in exile __ who by evil fate
the vine-clad valleys __ now view no more
in the land of NA-RG-00.13{Gods}[good]. __ There was lit gladly
a fire, with flames __ that flared and spluttered, {545}
long leagues to cover. __ Now led by ways
devious winding __ through the dark woodland, {560}
by slade and slope __ and swampy thicket, 25
through lonely days, __ long-dragging nights,
they fared unfaltering, __ and their friend they blessed,
who but for Beleg __ had been baffled utterly
by the magic mazes __ of Melian the Queen.> {570}
{Therefore }Beleg gladly became the guide of the wanderers, and he led them to a lodge where he dwelt at that time with other hunters, and there they were housed while a messenger went to Menegroth. ...
NA-EX-25.04 is a small addition that makes the sentence even more understandable.
NA-EX-25.05 I found that the yourney of Túrin to Doritah is underrepresentetd in the Narnand in CoH as well. The Lay has a lot more to tell about it.
NA-RG-00.05 Here I think the neccessary change to Grithnir does not harm the line.
NA-EX-25.06 and NA-EX-25.07 Beren and Lúthein do no longer run over fell and forest. Therefore I tried to change this to the sence that Carcharoth does spread fright over all the land.
NA-RG-00.06 I did not finde a good replacement for 'Gnome'. I hope some one has an better idea.
NA-RG-00.07 The same here for Hithlum which we must change since Huan did not dwell in Hithlum for any considerable long time to call him 'hound of Hithlum'.
NA-RG-00.08 and NA-RG-00.09 'the henchmen' might be to long or does it fit?
NA-EX-25.08 Here I tried to incooperate the only sentence from the prosa account that I felt was not covered by the Lay. But I doubt that my solution is good enough. It this worth doing it at all?
NA-RG-00.10 I see no problem here.
NA-RG-00.11 Again the terible 'Gods'! I hope my solution is not to bad.
NA-EX-25.09 and NA-EX-25.10 Beleg is now attestd in the Nirnaeth, so we have to introduce some change here.
NA-EX-25.11 Again the warm welcome Beleg gave them is much more elaborated in the poem.
NA-RG-00.12 No problem with Noldor here I think.
NA-RG-00.13 Can we call Valinor 'the land of good'?
Quote:
Túrin in Doriath
In the years of his childhood in the kingdom of Doriath Túrin was watched over by Melian, though he saw her seldom. But there was a maiden named Nellas, who lived in the woods; and at Melian's bidding she would follow Túrin if he strayed in the forest, and often she met him there, as it were by chance. NA-EX-27.01 <CoH Then they played together, or walked hand in hand; for he grew swiftly, whereas she seemed no more than a maiden of his own age, and was so in heart for all her elven-years.> From Nellas Túrin learned much ...
In the year that Túrin was seventeen years old, his grief was renewed; for all tidings from his home ceased at that time. The power of Morgoth had grown yearly, and all Hithlum was now under his shadow. Doubtless he knew much of the doings of Húrin's NA-EX-27.02 <CoH people and> kin, and had not molested them for a while, so that his design might be fulfilled; ...
Thingol looked on Túrin in wonder, seeing suddenly before him in the place of his fosterling a Man and a stranger, tall, dark-haired, looking at him with deep eyes in a white face{. Then Túrin asked Thingol for mail, sword, and shield, and he reclaimed now the Dragon-helm of Dor-lómin; and the king granted him what he sought, saying:} NA-EX-27.03 <CoH , stern and proud; but he did not speak.
‘What do you desire, foster-son?’said Thingol, and guessed that he would ask for nothing small.
‘Mail, sword, and shield of my stature, lord,’ answered Túrin. ‘Also by your leave I will now reclaim the Dragon-helm of my sires.’
‘These you shall have,’ said Thingol. ‘But what need have you yet of such arms?’
‘The need of a man,’ said Túrin; ‘and of a son who has kin to remember. And I need also companions valiant in arms.’
>‘I will appoint you a place among my knights of the sword; for the sword will ever be your weapon{.}<CoH ,’ said Thingol. ‘>With them you may make trial of war upon the marches, if that is your desire.’
{But Túrin said: }‘Beyond the marches of Doriath my heart urges me{;}<CoH said Túrin. ‘For onset against our foe> I long rather {for assault upon the Enemy,} than for defence of the borderlands.’
‘Then you must go alone,’ said Thingol. ‘The part of my people in the war with Angband I rule according to my wisdom, Túrin son of Húrin. No force of the arms of Doriath will I send out at this time; nor in any time that I can yet foresee.’
‘Yet you are free to go as you will, son of Morwen,’ said Melian. ‘The Girdle of Melian does not hinder the going of those that passed in with our leave.’
‘Unless wise counsel will restrain you,’ said Thingol.
‘What is your counsel, lord?’ said Túrin.
‘A Man you seem in stature, <CoH and indeed more than many already,>’ Thingol answered; ‘but nonetheless you have not come to the fullness of your manhood that shall be. <CoH Until that is achieved, you should be patient, testing and training your strength. Then>{ When that time comes, then}, maybe, you can remember your kin; but there is little hope that one Man alone can do more against the Dark Lord than to aid the Elf-lords in their defence, as long as that may last.’
Then Túrin said: ‘Beren my kinsman did more.’
‘Beren, and Lúthien,’ said Melian. ‘But you are over-bold to speak so to the father of Lúthien. Not so high is your destiny, I think, Túrin son of Morwen, though <CoH greatness is in you,> your fate is twined with that of the Elven-folk, for good or for ill. Beware of yourself, lest it be ill.’ Then after a silence she spoke to him again, saying: ‘Go now, fosterson; and {heed the counsel of the king}<CoH take the advice of the King. That will ever be wiser than your own counsel>. Yet I do not think that you will long abide with us in Doriath after the coming of manhood. If in days to come you remember the words of Melian, it will be for your good: fear both the heat and the cold of your heart <CoH , and strive for patience, if you can>.’
Then Túrin bowed before them, and took his leave. ...
One only was mightier in arms among the march-wardens of Thingol at that time than Túrin, and that was Beleg Cúthalion; and Beleg and Túrin were companions in every peril, and walked far and wide in the wild woods together.} NA-EX-27.04
<Lay Thus his prowess was proven __ and his praise was noised
and beyond his years __ he was yielded honour,
for by him was holden __ the hand of ruin {755}
from Thingol's folk, __ and NA-RG-00.14 {Thû}[Gorthaur] feared him,
and wide wandered __ the word of Túrin: 5
'Lo! we deemed as dead __ the dragon of the North,
but high o'er the host __ its head uprises,
NA-EX-27.05 its {wings are}worth is spread! __ Who has waked this spirit {760}
and the flame kindled __ of its fiery jaws?
Or is Húrin of Hithlum __ from Hell broken?' 10
NA-RG-00.15 {And Thû}[Gorthaur] who was throned __ as thane mightiest
neath Morgoth Bauglir, __ whom that master bade
'go ravage the realm __ of the robber Thingol {765}
and mar the magic __ of Melian the Queen',
even Thu feared him, and his thanes trembled. 15

One only was there in war greater,
more high in honour in the hearts of the Elves
than Túrin son of Húrin, __ tower of Hithlum, {770}
even the hunter Beleg __ of the hidden people,
whose NA-EX-27.06 {father}[fort] was the forest __ and the fells his home; 20
to bend whose bow, __ Balthronding named,
that the black yewtree __ once bore of yore,
had none the might; unmatched in knowledge {775}
of the woods' secrets __ and the weary hills.
He was leader beloved __ of the light companies 25
all garbed in grey __ and green and brown,
the archers arrowfleet __ with eyes piercing,
the scouts that scoured __ scorning danger {780}
afar o'er the fells __ their foemen's lair,
and tales and tidings __ timely won them 30
of camps and councils, __ of comings and goings,
all the movements of the might __ of Morgoth Bauglir.
Thus Túrin, who trusted __ to targe and sword, {785}
who was fain of fighting __ with foes well seen,
where shining swords __ made sheen of fire, 35
and his corslet-clad __ comrades-in-arms
were snared seldom __ and smote unlooked-for.

Then the fame of the fights __ on the far marches {790}
was carried to the courts __ of the king of Doriath,
and tales of Túrin __ were told in his halls, 40
of the bond and brotherhood __ of Beleg the ageless
with the blackhaired boy __ from the beaten people.
Then the king called them __ to come before him {795}
did Orc-raids lessen __ in the outer lands
ever and often __ unasked to hasten, 45
to rest them and revel __ and to raise awhile
in songs and lays __ and sweet music
the memory of the mirth __ ere the moon was old, {800}
when the mountains were young __ in the morning of the world.>
Thus three years passed, and in that time Túrin came seldom to Thingol's halls; ...
All what we have up to NA-EX-27.04 are small additions that make the text fuller and more detailed, I wonder why they were left out from the Narn.
NA-EX-27.04 I found the description of the warfare of Túrin and Beleg would add to the simple text given in the Narn.
NA-RG-00.14 Gorthaur is longer, but I think it still fits.
NA-EX-27.05 Since the Glaurung had never have wings I do not understand how these wings came ever to be part of the Helm at all, but we surely must eliminate them.
NA-RG-00.15 Thû again. I think it is okay to leave the And out for the longer Gorthauer.
NA-EX-27.06 The same replacement as in NA-EX-25.10.
Quote:
... {Saeros}[Orgol], entering late, was angered, believing that Túrin had done this in pride, and with intent to affront him; and his anger was not lessened to find that Túrin was not rebuked by those that sat there, but welcomed NA-EX-27.07 <CoH as one worthy to sit> among them.
For a while therefore {Saeros}[Orgol] feigned to be of like mind, and took another seat, facing Túrin across the board. ‘Seldom does the march-warden favour us with his company,’ he said; ‘and I gladly yield my accustomed seat for the chance of speech with him.’ <CoH But Túrin, who was in converse with Mablung the Hunter, did not rise, and said only a curt ‘I thank you’.
{Saeros}[Orgol] then plied him with questions, concerning> {And much else he said to Túrin, questioning him concerning the} news from the borders, and his deeds in the wild; but though his words seemed fair, the mockery in his voice could not be mistake ...
‘If the cub has a grievance, let him bring it to the King's judgement,’ answered {Saeros}[Orgol]. ‘But the drawing of swords here is not to be excused for any such cause. Outside the hall, if the woodwose draws on me, I shall kill him.’
‘{That seems to me less certain}NA-EX-27.08 <CoH It may well go otherwise>,’ said Mablung; ‘but if either be slain it will be an evil deed, more fit for Angband than Doriath, and more evil will come of it. Indeed I {think}<CoH feel> that some shadow of the North has reached out to touch us tonight. Take heed, {Saeros}[Orgol] son of Ithilbor, lest you do the will of Morgoth in your pride, and remember that you are of the Eldar.’
‘I do not forget it,’ said {Saeros}[Orgol]; but he did not abate his wrath, and through the night his malice grew, nursing his injury.
In the morning NA-EX-27.09 <CoH he waylaid Túrin, as he set off early from Menegroth, intending to go back to the marches. Túrin had gone only a little way when {Saeros}[Orgol] run>{, when Túrin left Menegroth to return to the north-marches, Saeros waylaid him, running} out upon him from behind with drawn sword. ...
... But Túrin let him up, and then ‘Run NA-EX-27.10 <CoH , run, mocker of women>!’ he cried. ‘Run! And unless you go as swift as the deer I shall prick you on from behind.’ <CoH Then he set the point of the sword in [Saeros’}[Orgols] buttock; and he> {And Saeros} fled into the wood, crying wildly for help <CoH in his terror>; but Túrin came after him like a hound and however he ran, or swerved, still the sword was behind him to egg him on.
‘Hold, hold, Túrin!’ he cried. ‘This is Orc-work in the woods!’ {But Túrin called back: ‘Orc-work in the woods for Orc-words in the hall!’ and sprang again after Saeros; and he,} NA-EX-27.11 <CoH ‘Orc-work there was; this is only Orc-play, ‘ Túrin called back. Before Mablung spoke he had been on the point of releasing {Saeros}[Orlog], but now with a shout he sprang after him again; and {Saeros}[Orlog],> despairing of aid and thinking his death close behind, ran wildly on, until he came suddenly to a brink where a stream that fed Esgalduin flowed in a deep cleft through high rocks, and it was wide for a deer-leap. {There Saeros in}In his {great fear}<CoH terror {Saeros}[Orgol]> attempted the leap; ...
... And he turned and looked darkly on Mablung and his companions, who now came up and stood near him on the brink. Then after a silence Mablung said <CoH gravely>: ‘Alas! But come back now ...
‘Your words are {unwise} NA-EX-27.12 <CoH too proud>,’ said Mablung, though {in his heart he felt pity for Túrin. ‘}<CoH he pitied the young man. ‘Learn wisadom!> You shall not turn runagate. I bid you return with me, as a friend. And there are other witnesses. When the King learns the truth you may hope for his pardon.’
‘Fare free!’ said Mablung; ‘for that is your wish. {But well I do not hope for}<CoH To say well would be vain>, if you go in this way. A shadow is {on your heart}<CoH over you>. When we meet again, may it be no darker.’
It is told that when Túrin did not return to the north-marches of Doriath and no tidings could be heard of him, Beleg Strongbow came himself to Menegroth to seek him; and with heavy heart he gathered news of Túrin's deeds and flight. Soon afterwards Thingol and Melian came back to their halls, for the summer was waning; and when the King heard report of what had passed he NA-EX-27.13 <CoH said: ‘This is a grievous matter, which I must hear in full. Though {Saeros}[Orgol], my counsellor, is slain, and Túrin my foster-son has fled, tomorrow I will sit in the seat of judgment, and hear again all in due order, before I speak my doom.’
Next day the King> sat upon his throne <CoH in his court> in the great hall of Menegroth, and about him were all the lords and counsellors , <CoH the chiefs and elders> of Doriath. Then all was searched and NA-EX-27.14 <CoH {Then} many witnesses were heard, and of these Mablung spoke most and clearest. And as he told of the quarrel at table, it seemed to the King that Mablung’s heart leaned to Túrin.
‘You speak as a friend of Túrin son of Húrin?’ said Thingol. ‘I was, but I have loved truth more and longer,’ Mablung answered. ‘Hear me to the end, lord!’
When all was> told, even to the parting words of Túrin{; and at the last}, Thingol sighed, <CoH and he looked at those that sat before him, >and he said: ‘Alas! <CoH I see a shadow on your faces.> How has this shadow stolen into my realm? <CoH Malice is at work here.> {Saeros}[Orgol] I accounted faithful and wise; but if he lived he would feel my anger, for his taunting was evil, and I hold him to blame for all that chanced in the hall. So far Túrin has my pardon. But <CoH I cannot pass over his later deeds, when wrath should have cooled.> {the}The shaming of {Saeros}[Orgol] and the hounding of him to his death were wrongs greater than the offence{, and these deeds I cannot pass over}. They show a hard heart, and proud.’
Then Thingol {fell silent, but at last he spoke again in sadness}<CoH sat for a while in thought, and spoke sadly at last>. ‘This is an ungrateful fosterson, and <CoH in truth> a man too proud for his state. How shall I harbour one who scorns me and my law, or pardon one who will not repent? {Therefore} <CoH This must be my doom.> I will banish Túrin son of Húrin from the kingdom of Doriath. If he seeks entry he shall be brought to judgement before me; and until he sues for pardon at my feet he is my son no longer. If any here accounts this unjust, let him speak{.}<CoH now!>’
Then there was silence in the hall, ...
... Then Beleg went out, and led in by the hand the maiden Nellas, who dwelt in the woods, and came never into Menegroth; and she was afraid, {both for}NA-EX-27.15 <CoH as much of> the great pillared hall and the roof of stone{, and for}<CoH as of> the company of many eyes that watched her. ...
‘Judgement is mine,’ said Thingol. ‘But what you have told shall govern it.’ Then he questioned Nellas closely; and at last he turned to Mablung, saying: ‘It is strange to me that Túrin said nothing of this to you.’
‘Yet he did not,’ said Mablung{. ‘And had he spoken of it, otherwise would my words have been to him at }NA-EX-27.16 <CoH , ‘or I should have recounted it. And otherwise should I have spoken to him at our> parting.’
... and gladly would I welcome him back; for I loved him well.’
{And Beleg answered: ‘I will seek Túrin until I find him, and I will bring him back to Menegroth, if I can; for} NA-EX-27.17 <CoH ‘Give me leave, lord,’ said Beleg, ‘and on your behalf I will redress this evil, if I can. For such manhood as he promised should not run to nothing in the wild. Doriath has need of him, and the need will grow more. And> I love him also.’
Then Thingol said to Beleg: ‘Now I have hope in the quest! Go with my good will, and if you find him, guard him and guide him as you may. ...
... They hunted and gathered such food as they could; but NA-EX-27.18 <CoH many took to robbery and became cruel, when hunger or other need drove them. In>{in} winter{ when hunger drove them} they were <CoH most> to be feared{ as}<CoH , like> wolves{,}<CoH ;> and Gaurwaith, the Wolf-men, they were called by those who still defended their homes. Some {fifty}<CoH sixty> of these Men had joined in one band, wandering in the woods beyond the western marches of Doriath; and they were hated scarcely less than Orcs, for there were among them outcasts hard of heart, bearing a grudge against their own kind.
The {grimmest}<CoH hardest> among them was one named Andróg, <CoH who had been> hunted from Dor-lómin for the slaying of a woman; and others also came from that land: old Algund, the oldest of the fellowship, who had fled from the Nirnaeth, and Forweg, as he named himself, the captain of the band, a man with fair hair and unsteady glittering eyes, big and bold, but far fallen from the ways of the Edain of the people of Hador. <CoH Yet he could still be wise and generous at times; and he was the captian of the fellowship. They had dwindled now to some fifty men, by deaths in hardship or affrays; and they>{They} were become{ very} wary, and{ they} set scouts or a watch about them, whether moving or at rest{; and thus}<CoH . Thus> they were quickly aware of Túrin when he strayed into their haunts. They trailed him, and they drew a ring about him{; and}<CoH , so that> suddenly, as he came out into a glade beside a stream, he found himself within a circle of men with bent bows and drawn swords.
... ‘for these are our haunts, and {we}<CoH my men> do not allow other men to walk in them. We take their lives as forfeit, unless they can ransom them.’
Then Túrin laughed{.}<CoH grimly>: ‘You will get no ransom from me,{’ he said, ‘}an outcast and an outlaw. You may search when I am dead, but it will cost you dearly to prove my words true. <CoH Many of you are likely to die first.>’
Nonetheless his death seemed near, for many arrows were notched to the string, waiting for the word of the captain; and <CoH though Túrin wore elven-mail under his grey tunic and cloak, some would find a deadly mark. None> {none} of his enemies stood within reach of a leap with drawn sword. But {Túrin, seeing some stones at the stream's edge before his feet, stooped suddenly; and in that instant one of the men, angered by his}<CoH suddenly Túrin stooped, for he had espied some stones at the stream’s edge before his feet. At that moment an outlaw, angered by his proud> words, let fly a shaft{. But}<CoH amid at his face; but> it passed over {Túrin}<CoH him>, and he {springing up}<CoH sprang up again like a bowstring released and> cast a stone at the bowman with great force and true aim; and he fell to the ground with broken skull.
... I will take you in his stead, if you will heed my words better.’
NA-EX-27.19 <CoH ‘I will,’ said Túrin, ‘as long as you are captain, and in all that belongs to a captain. But the choice of a new man to a fellowship is not his alone, I judge. All voices should be heard. Are there any here who do not welcome me?’>
Then two of the outlaws cried out against him; and one was a friend of the fallen man. Ulrad was his name. ‘A strange way to gain entry to a fellowship,’ he said: ‘the slaying of one of {the best men.}<CoH our best men!>’
‘Not unchallenged,’ said Túrin. ‘But come then! I will endure you both together, with weapons or with strength alone{; and then}<CoH . Then> you shall see if I am fit to replace one of your best men. <CoH But if there are bows in this test, I must have one too.’ Then he strode towards them; but Ulrad gave back and would not fight. The other threw down his bow <CoH and walked up to meet Túrin. This>{, and looked Túrin up and down; and this} man was Andróg of Dor-lómin. <CoH He stood before Túrin and looked him up and down.
‘Nay,’ he said at length, shaking his head. ‘I am not a chicken-heart, as men know; but>{‘}I am not your match{,’ he said at length, shaking his head. ‘}. There is none here, I think. You may join us, for my part. But there is a strange {look about you}<CoH light in your eyes>; you are a dangerous man. What is your name?’
... he did little to restrain their evil deeds. <CoH Thus he soon became hardened to a mean and often cruel life, and yet>{Yet} at times pity and shame would wake in him, ...
Then he put up his sword. ‘Come!’ he said to Andróg. ‘We will return. But if you wish to bury your captain, you must do so yourself. Make haste, for a hue and cry may be raised. Bring his weapons!’
NA-EX-27.20 <CoH The woman went off through the woods, and she looked back many times before the trees hid her.> Then Túrin went on his way without more words, and Andróg watched him go, and he frowned as one pondering a riddle.
Then Beleg went on his way in haste, and sought for the lairs of the outlaws, and such signs as might show him whither they had gone. These he soon found; but Túrin was now several days ahead, and moved swiftly, fearing the pursuit of the Woodmen and he NA-EX-27.21 <CoH had> used all the arts that he knew to defeat or mislead any that tried to follow {them.}<CoH him> NA-TI-07.5b <NA; note 11 , but with the men becoming discontented in that {"}harbourless land{"}/ above the Aelinuial and the Fens of Sirion/, Túrin was persuaded to lead them back to the woodlands south of {Teiglin}[Taeglin] where he first encountered them.> But he <CoH {He} led his men westward, away from the Woodmen and from the borders of Doriath, until they came to the northern end of the great highlands that rose between the Vales of Sirion and Narog. There the land was drier, and the forest ceased suddenly on the brink of a ridge. Below it could be seen the ancient South road, climbing up from the Crossing of {Teiglin}[Taiglin] to pass along the western feet of the moorlands on its way to Nargothrond. There for a time the outlaws lived warily, remaining seldom>{Seldom did they remain} two nights in one camp, and {they left}<CoH leaving> little trace of their going or staying. ...
Up to NA-TI-07.5b there is little to comment on from my point of view. The movment of Túrin and his band are otherwise recounted by Chrictopher Tolkien as he did in the Narn. It is now questionalbe if we need the southward movment at all. But think it still has some point since it nicely fills the time between Túrins slaying of Forweg and the Orc-attack on the Wood-men.
Quote:
‘The friend of truth, rather,’ said Beleg, ‘and that was best, in the end NA-EX-27.22 <CoH ; though the doom would have benn less just, were it not for the witness of Nellas. Why,>{. But} why, Túrin, did you not speak{ to him} of {Saeros’}[Orgols] assault {upon you}<CoH to Mablung>? All otherwise might things have gone. And,’ he said, looking at the men sprawled near the mouth of the cave, ‘you might have held your helm still high, and not fallen to this.’
‘If I stayed beside you, love would lead me, not wisdom, ‘ said Beleg. ‘My heart warns me that we should return to Doriath. NA-EX-27.23 <CoH Elsewhere a shadow lies before us.>’
‘Nonetheless, I will not go there,’ said Túrin.
<CoH ‘Alas!’ said Beleg. ‘But as a fond father who grants his son’s desire against his own foresight, I yielde to your will. At your asking, I will stay.’
‘That is well indeed!’ said Túrin. Then all at once he fell silent, as if he himself were aware of the shadow, and strove with his pride, which would not let him turn back. Far a long while he sat, brooding> {Then Beleg strove once more to persuade him to return to the service of King Thingol, saying that there was great need of his strength and valour on the north-marches of Doriath, and he spoke to him of the new inroads of the Orcs, coming down into Dimbar out of Taur-nu-Fuin by the Pass of Anach. But all his words were of no avail, and at last he said: ‘A hard man you have called yourself, Túrin. Hard you are, and stubborn. Now the turn is mine. If you wish indeed to have the Strongbow beside you, look for me in Dimbar; for thither I shall return.’
Then Túrin sat in silence, and strove with his pride, which would not let him turn back; and he brooded} on the years that lay behind{ him. But coming}<CoH .
Coming> suddenly out of {his }thought he {said to}<CoH looked at> Beleg<CoH , and said>: ‘The Elf-maiden {whom}<CoH that> you named<CoH , though I forget how>: I owe her well for her timely witness; yet I cannot recall her. Why did she watch my ways?’
Then Beleg looked strangely at him. ‘Why indeed?’ he said. ‘Túrin, have you lived always with your heart and half your mind far away? <CoH As a boy you used to walk> {You walked} with Nellas in the woods{ of Doriath; when you were a boy}.’
‘That {was}<CoH must have been> long ago,’ said Túrin. ‘Or so my childhood now seems, and a mist is over it - save only the memory of my father's house in Dor-lómin. But why should I have walked with an Elf-maiden?’
‘To learn what she could teach, maybe,’ said Beleg<CoH , ‘if no more than a few elven-words of the names of woodland flowers. Their names at least you have not forgotten>. {‘}Alas, child of Men! There are other griefs in Middle-earth than yours, and wounds made by no weapon. Indeed I begin to think that Elves and Men should not meet or meddle.’
Túrin said nothing, but looked long in Beleg's face, as if he would read in it the riddle of his words. {But }Nellas of Doriath never saw him again, and his shadow passed from her.{ 12}NA-EX-27.24 <CoH Now Beleg and Túrin turned to other matters, debating where they should dwell. ‘Let us return to Dimbar, on the north-marches, where once we walked together!’ said Beleg eagerly. ...
... It is said that Beleg went back to Menegroth, and came> NA-TI-08 <Sil77 {On the next day Beleg set out, and Túrin went with him a bowshot from the camp; but he said nothing. ‘Is it farewell, then, son of Húrin?’ said Beleg. Then Túrin looked out westward, and he saw far off the great height of {Amon Rûdh}[Amon Rûð]; and unwitting of what lay before him he answered: ‘You have said, seek me in Dimbar. But I say, seek for me on {Amon Rûdh}[Amon Rûð]! Else, this is our last farewell.’ Then they parted, in friendship, yet in sadness.
Now Beleg returned to the Thousand Caves, and coming} before Thingol and Melian <CoH and>{he} told them of all that had {befallen}<CoH happened>, save only of his evil handling by Túrin's companions. Then Thingol sighed, and he said: ‘<CoH I took up the fathering of the son of Húrin, and that cannot be laid down for love or hate, unless Húrin the Valiant himself should return. >What more would {Túrin}<CoH he> have me do?’
NA-EX-27.25 ‘Give me leave, lord,’ said Beleg, ‘and I will guard him and guide him as I may; then no man shall say that elven-words are lightly spoken. Nor would I wish to see so great a good run to nothing in the wild.’
Then Thingol gave Beleg leave to do as he would.{; and he said: ‘Beleg Cúthalion! For many deeds you have earned my thanks; ...
‘Nonetheless I will wield it while I may,’ said Beleg.}
NA-EX-27.26 <CoH But Melian said: ‘ A gift you shall now have of me, Cúthalion, for your help and your honour, for I have none worthier to give.’> {‘Another gift I will give to you, Cúthalion,’ said Melian, ‘that shall be your help in the wild, and the help also of those whom you choose.’} And she gave him store of lembas, the waybread of the Elves, wrapped in leaves of silver, and the threads that bound it were sealed at the knots with the seal of the Queen, a wafer of white wax shaped as a single flower of Telperion; for according to the customs of the Eldalië the keeping and giving of lembas belonged to the Queen alone. <CoH ‘This waybread, Beleg,’ she said; ‘shall be your help in the wild and the winter, and the help also of those whom you choose. For I commit this now to you, to apportion as you will in my stead.’> In nothing did Melian show greater favour to Túrin than in this gift; for the Eldar had never before allowed Men to use this waybread, and seldom did so again.
A view additions here and there as was to expacted upt to the point were we come to the giving of the sword Anglachel and the lembas. to this Christopher Tolkien comments in CoH:
Quote:
In Unfinished Tales there is a third gap in the narrative on p. 96: the story breaks off at the point where Beleg, having found Túrin among the outlaws, cannot persuade him to return to Doriath (pp. 115-19 in the new text), and does not take up again until the outlaws encounter the Petty-dwarves. Here I referred again to The Silmarillion for the filling of the gap, noting that there follows in the story Beleg's farewell to Túrin and his return to Menegroth 'where he received the sword Anglachel from Thingol and lembas from Melian'. But it is in fact demonstrable that my father rejected this; for 'what really happened' was that Thingol gave Anglachel to Beleg after the trial of Túrin, when Beleg first set off to find him. In the present text therefore the gift of the sword is placed at that point (p. 96), and there is no mention there of the gift of lembas. In the later passage, when Beleg returned to Menegroth after the finding of Túrin, there is of course no reference to Anglache in the new text, but only to Melain's gift.
It remains only to mention that in CoH also the paragraph marked here as NA-EX-27.25 is omited. It seems that this paragraph in Sil77 was composed by Christopher Tolkien as an appropirate answer to Thingols question 'What more would Túrin have me do?' For me tha passage look a bit strange without that answer. Do you agree to add this paragraph even so we know now nearly for sure that it is composed by Christopher Tolkien?

Agian it is enough for the moment, I think. Next will be 'Of Mîm the Dwarf' and 'The Land of Bow and Helm', which will end this part.

Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote