View Single Post
Old 03-26-2009, 06:52 AM   #27
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Gelmir son of Guilin and Gelmir companion of Arminas is for sure a no go. And this is also for sure not a case like Rumil the sage of Trion and Rumil the marchwarden of Lorien. Both Gelimrs are from the same tribe of the Noldor.

But if we take up this part of the note, why not the one about these two beeing Earendils companiens later. And I made up my mind to which of the triple has to go instaed: Falathar and Aerandir. Both names sound to me like Epesse taken up after all the voyages undertaken with Earendil. My Elvish is wonting in this, but the first element in Falathar names a coastline and Aerandir means Seewanderer for sure, while I can't make much out of Erellont. Probably we should name them here with their fuller name:
Quote:
But Eärendil, alone of living Men, landed on the immortal shores; and he said to Elwing and to those that were with him, three mariners who had sailed all the seas beside him, and VE-11.025 Note from WH <Faramir> Falathar, <Arminas> Aerandir, and Erellont were their names:
The idea to put the three great tales in one book together is a sound one. When I started to involve my self to this project, also dreamed of a germany version of the final product. And for the fragments of the Lay's I thought of going the same way as your propose (I don't have the skill to recast them in apropirate lays in German). Such a tarnslation would also adress the stylistic issue that Lindil brought up earlier in the project, since any translation would smooth the style some what. But take care, it is a long and hard work.

Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote