View Single Post
Old 11-17-2003, 06:28 PM   #70
Theron Bugtussle
Wight

Location: Blowing the froth off a couple in this quaint little pub in Michel Delving.
Theron Bugtussle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Re: How much external Tolkien reading is necessary to find satisfaction, understanding, or depth of characterization within LOTR...

I read LOTR first in about 7th-8th grade. Read the Hobbit for the first time probably after LOTR. Read it again once or twice before college. Once or maybe twice in college, probably only twice since then (in the last twenty-summa *coughs* years). I am reading it again right now.

I checked out the Silmarillion from the library long ago, couldn't choke it down, seemed too dry to me. (I was never one of those that loved memorizing names, dates, locations, and winning and losing commanding generals of the US Civil War, either.) And I have read no other Tolkien.

My opinion is I love the richness of characterization in the LOTR, I love everything about it. It has been my favorite book (short of the Bible) for...well, since I first read it. I don't see that I need to read any of the rest of that backstory, mythology, etc., to see the richness of these characters or the richness of the story.

And to the fellow who insists it is just a great adventure story: That may be right for you, but I think you might be missing what I see. I noticed the entire scene with the Black Riders under Weathertop takes up just over a page in the book. (Whereas in the movie it is a major action-adventure episode.) But the rest of the chapter leading up to that page has so much depth and texture. Strider has warned the hobbits they don't fear the Black Riders enough. This chapter fleshes that out, and gives the hobbits much to admire in Strider.

EDIT: In response to Saucepan Man's reply above about psychological interest, I see your point clearly now. And though I may still read the thread, I am less interested in specific psychological character issues, than in my (and others') general interest in the characters. I agree with you that the one area of interest does not rule out the other.

[ November 18, 2003: Message edited by: Theron Bugtussle ]