View Single Post
Old 07-07-2004, 09:38 AM   #246
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Ayar speaks to Ráma alone.....

“And now,” murmured Ayar, “I would speak privately with my daughter.”

Miri and Claris had departed, with only Yalisha remaining behind to tend to Ayar's needs. The young healer quickly countered, “Not now. You are tired and must rest.”

“Tired or not, I will speak with Ráma." Summoning her last bit of strength, Ayar sat upright in bed and reassured Yalisha that their conversation would be short. Yalisha promised to return shortly and then slipped away, leaving mother and daughter alone in the tent.

“Mother, are you sure?" Ráma pressed. "Perhaps we should wait.”

With a glint of a smile, Ayar retorted, “Rama, I am ill, but my wits are not addled. Trust me for there are things I must say.” She leaned over to place a kiss on her daughter’s curls before continuing. “First, tell me of Umbar. Not the part about Wyrma or her grand city, for I have heard more than enough about that. I want to know what happened to you.”

Ráma responded with relish as she began to describe the mysterious Eagle who had followed her across the desert and her strange encounter with the two Men of Gondor. Ayar listened carefully but said little. Her eyes registered faint surprise at the name of ‘Sorona’. When Ráma went on to describe Bird, Ayar stared quizzically at her daughter. “Are you certain? This Mithadan spoke of a maenwaith living in the north whose raven hair was marked with a single silver lock?”

“So he said, although the part about the north sounded peculiar to me.” Ráma observed, having no idea what her mother really meant.

“Very peculiar…..” was all Ayar would say.

“But is it possible?” queried Ráma. “I thought our people all lived near the desert of Harad.”

“Possible? Yes, it’s possible. How soon you forget what I taught you! For many years, our people lived in Beleriand, afterwards migrating eastward and then to the south. Only each clan prized its independence. Some chose to linger in one place longer than others, or to push further down the route in hope of staying out of harm’s way. Even in the Third Age, there were clans that split asunder. So it would be possible for a maenwaith family or two, or even part of a clan, to have turned away from the main line of march that led down to Harad. But whether this would account for the mysterious Bird, I really can not say.”

“As to the other, if you should ever see Sorona, tell her that an old friend often thinks of her with affection. Speak to her respectfully, Ráma, for I believe she has known great hardship. Indeed, I am surprised to hear she is still alive.” When Ráma pressed her mother for more particulars, Ayar would only say that it was not right to divulge anyone’s secrets unless that person wished to share their story freely.

"But that's enough of me!" Rama objected. "You said you had something to share. We must be quick or Yalisha will come back and turn me out of the tent....."

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 07-12-2004 at 11:08 PM.