View Single Post
Old 11-25-2003, 10:13 AM   #66
Theron Bugtussle
Wight

Location: Blowing the froth off a couple in this quaint little pub in Michel Delving.
Theron Bugtussle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ha, mark12_30, good analogy!

Thanks for the welcome Estelyn, and the invitation. The Lady Telcontar sought me out from among the threads of the Barrow-Downs learned, where I was, shall I say, lost as a halfling in the tall grasses of the Westfold. She bid me come hither to the Coming of Age thread, seeing that my "lack of stature" did not correspond to a lack of memories of the days of youth and first discovery of the Grand Saga.
- - - - -
As to Styx and their understanding of LotR.... That particular tune was sung by James Young, and he usually was the lead singer on songs that he wrote. I suspect that he, and likely they, did not read the book at all.

Probable scenario, according to Theron Bugtussle: The LotR book was popular with some people in their circles, they heard some discussion about it while they were "socializing," and this LAME SONG was the result. Styx was verging into the "theatrical" rock mode by this time, maybe they could even sell a few more albums among the teen-pop-semi-literati by associating themselves with this popular book.

Personal Info Aside: I read LotR originally well before the Pieces of Eight album came out, possibly before I had heard of Styx at all. Well, it may have been around the time that their tune 'Lady' was a big hit, actually. That should date my Jr High years. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]