View Single Post
Old 10-26-2003, 05:19 PM   #331
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

“My name is Finduilas,” I said, answering the elf’s question with a smile. I was about to ask what brought the elf to Gondor when stabbing pain rushed to my eyes. It was worse than the last volley and I could not help but to cry out in pain. “What is Elentari doing?” I asked softly to the elf.

“Speaking with Smani,” she replied with concern.

“I need to get a room in the Inn, and rest,” I said. But I couldn’t do it alone. I would trip over ever possible thing that was in the slightest way, I would probably stumble over my own feet, and would certainly not be able to find Aman on my own. Cringing I said lowly, my eyes fixed on the table, “would you be so kind as to help me get a room?”

“Certainly.”

Taking a tattered and wrinkled piece of paper, I wrote in what I knew was an unsightly scrawl:

Elentari, have gone to get a room. Please come visit me when un-busied.”

I wasn’t sure if “un-busied” was a word, but it sounded better than “when you are through” and it took a lot less words to write. Leaving it on the table, where I hoped Elentari would see it, I groped for my staff and Nedieth, hand upon my arm, guided me to Aman. “She needs a room,” Nedieth explained.

Dropping my hand into a pocket, I fumbled for some coins which I knew would be ample enough to pay for a couple of nights in advance. Aman assigned me to a room (her voice sounded quite cheerful) and Nedieth, kind elf that she was, patiently crawled up the stairs and turned a sharp right.

Sprawling myself upon the bed, I asked, “Thank you for your kindness, Nedieth. What brings you to the Shire?” There was a pause, and I added, “If you would prefer to talk with other elves instead with a blind girl, please do not feel obligated to visit with me.” I hoped that didn’t sound like a hint for her to leave, but I didn’t want her to feel as if she ought to stay and talk with one such as I.