View Single Post
Old 05-04-2008, 05:12 PM   #33
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I saw the musical on Friday and enjoyed it very much.

I thought the first half was depicted very well. All the best scenes were left in, and the parts that were changed had good reasons for change (after all you're cutting down a trilogy to three hours). The hobbits were well done (loved Pippin) and I was particularly pleased watching the number "The Cat and the Moon" as I really love that song in the book.

The second half was alright too. I found the death of Boromir touching and the ending was well done. The only thing that really bothered me was how they seemed to combine Rohan and Gondor and merge Theoden, Denethor, and Eomer into one character. I understand that stuff needs to be cut down, but that really just confused and frustrated me more than anything. I think it would've been better off if Gandalf came to Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli in Fangorn (like he's supposed to), and then have them ride off to save Rohan (and Gondor), but leave it there and not show any of it (until they arrive at the gate). That or extend the musical another 45 minutes. But I think it's better to cut out an entire part of the books then to include some and butcher it up. That's really my only major criticism. Though less importantly, the hand movements of the elves bothered me after awhile. It was overdone and exaggerated...like a really bad interpretive dance.

But I think what made the musical so fantastic were the special effects. The balrog was a great way to close the first act with smoke coming everywhere. The Black Riders were absolutely stunning. And Shelob was superb...she really managed to freak out the audience (as did the orcs who wandered into the aisles). And really, the list could go on...

The music was wonderful too. There were no songs that stood out to me above the rest in ways that songs in some musicals do, but still it was all very beautiful. I'll have to get the soundtrack if I can find it cheap somewhere...

Anyways, when I first heard LotR would be a musical, I admit I thought it a bit ridiculous. But after it came out I became more curious and when I found out I was going to London I decided I really wanted to see it. I still wasn't sure about how good it would be...I thought some of the clips on the website depicted the musical as a bit cheesy and overdone, but of course I had to see it for myself and I'm glad I did. Really, pictures and videos don't do the musical justice...things may look overdone but that's how all musicals are because they have to be seen from a distance (while usually they are filmed up close). It was only a few days ago I saw the first ads about the musical closing (though I was aware of it before), and I'm sad to see it go. Take my advice: anyone and everyone who has the opportunity to see LotR before July 19 should go and see it. Despite the changes, it'll be worth your money...trust me.