View Single Post
Old 01-09-2005, 03:23 PM   #29
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neithan
I think that in order to use the Rings they had to "open their minds to them" that is, they had to use this "mind power" to use the Rings and so the Rings became tied to that power. And so through the One Ring Sauron could get around their "unwill".
This I think is part of the whole essence of why the Rings were created. To the Elves, they must have held some kind of power, or else why would they have been created? They were clearly not symbolic but had a purpose. Repeating the quote I used in my original post:

Quote:
they were given into the hands of the Wise, who concealed them and never again used them openly while Sauron kept the Ruling Ring. Therefore the Three remained unsullied, for they were forged by Celebrimbor alone, and the hand of Sauron had never touched them; yet they also were subject to the One.
Tolkien does not directly say what their use was, but this quote hints at it strongly, and hints at the possibility that they were used for purposes of sanwe. How? Because they then had to be hidden from Sauron, and how would he 'know' they were being used if he was at a distance unless they did possess some power?

Another hint at the 'purpose' is here:

Quote:
As soon as Sauron set the One Ring upon his finger they were aware of him; and they knew him, and perceived that he would be the master of them, and of all that they wrought. Then in anger and fear they took off their rings.
In Unfinished Tales, there is the following interesting information in the History of Galadriel and Celeborn:

Quote:
"What would you have then?" said Celebrimbor

"I would have trees and grass about me that do not die - here in the land that is mine," she answered. "What has become of the skill of the Eldar?" And Celebrimbor said "Where now is the stone of Earendil? And Enerdhil who made it is gone."
"They have passed over sea," said Galadriel, "With almost all fair things else. But must then Middle Earth fade and perish for ever?"

"That is its fate I deem," said Celebrimbor. "But you know that I love you (though you turn to Celeborn of the trees), and for that love I will do what I can, if happily by my art your grief can be lessened."
Quote:
Wielding the Elessar all things grew fair about Galadriel, until the coming of the shadow to the forest. But afterwards when Nenya, her chief of the three was sent her by Celebrimbor, she needed it (as she thought) no more, and she gave it to Celebrian her daughter, and so it came to Arwen and to Aragorn who was called Elessar.
The Elessar was created before the Rings, and it must have held some kind of similar power if she gives it up once she receives Nenya. It also seems to be 'immune' to the power of the One Ring. Does it make use of some kind of sanwe in the creation of Lothlorien? Another question here is whether Celebrimbor creates these things for love of Galadriel, and if he is so easily misled by Sauron because he is working for love of Galadriel and cannot see how he has been deceived? And if the Elessar has a similar power, what does this say about Aragorn's discovery of the White Tree?