View Single Post
Old 03-09-2003, 02:45 PM   #17
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

The next morning found the rescue party up early gathering what they would need for their journey and packing for the risky venture. The sun was still climbing into the sky when they were again summoned to meet with Elrond and the heads of his house.

As they assembled, Elrond spoke. "You go into darkness beyond your ken with little hope of success. Yet I have gathered some few things to aid you in your quest." He laid a packet of maps on the table and unfolded them. The first was a map of Wilderland, showing the High Pass and the lands east of the Misty Mountains. Then there were several maps of Moria, not very detailed and faded with age and disuse. He looked up at Vanimorén and said, "You entered Moria before Eregion fell an age and more ago, did you not?"

Vanimorén nodded. "Yes. I entered with my father and Uncle at the invitation of some Dwarven traders. We were brought through the West Gate and visited there. On another occaision, I passed through Moria and exited by the Main Gates in the East. We were visitng kin in Eryn Lasgalen which is now known as Mirkwood." Elrond pushed the maps to Vanimorén and bade him discuss what knowledge he had of Moria with Elladan and Elrohir.

Then he brought forward a case and opened it. Three rods he removed with hoods over their tops. "So that you will not need to rely only upon torches in that dark place, I give you these." He removed the hood from one to reveal a crystal mounted in a setting of steel. The crystal glowed and flickered with a blue fire as if lightning had been captured therein. "These are Noldorin Lamps," said Elrond. "The secret of their making has been lost in Middle Earth. But during the First Age, it is said that Morgoth sought the secret of making these lamps from prisoners held in Angband. While some knew how they were made, and indeed were compelled to make them for the Dark Lord and his minions, he never discovered what magic or craft was used to light the fire within the crystals."

He handed them to Elrohir. "They will not go out and cannot be broken. But they burn always and must be hooded when you have need of secrecy and the aid of the dark." Then he bade the group speak of what path they would take to Moria...