View Single Post
Old 03-08-2013, 11:44 PM   #18
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saurondil View Post
## Michael Moorcock - despite his criticisms of Tolkien's story - does seem to be indebted to him. "Elric of Melnibone" is about the last ruler of a great kingdom, that is 10,000 years old; Elric relies on dragons, which need to sleep for 100(?) years to restore their strength; he has a sword, with a name (Storm-bringer) that is exceptionally dangerous; the name "Melnibone" vaguely recalls "Numenore"; & Elric is a sorcerer. He is almost an anti-Aragorn, or an Aragorn-as-Dark-Lord. Elric is a combo of Aragorn, Turin, Ar-Pharazon, & Sauron - a pretty unpleasant character.
Not so much Turin or Ar-Pharazon- Moorcock started writing the series before the Silmarillion was published, so in part this is actually an example of two writers drawing on the same mythological sources.

Quote:
I don't think "The New Shadow" was "finishable" - Tolkien's achievement was too complete. I could have done with more info about Eldarion, though. And Aragorn's daughters.
I'm torn about "The New Shadow". It's intriguing, all right, and ends on such a chilling note that you feel frustrated there isn't any more of it- and yet, on the whole I think Tolkien made the right decision. Too many authors just can't resist yet another trip to the well (Moorcock being rather a case in point).

Anyway, welcome to the Downs!