View Single Post
Old 03-19-2008, 04:11 PM   #148
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë View Post
Other characters are better in this, too, such as Galadriel's voice is nicer (I love Cate Blanchett but my only drawback was she sounded too deep, like Margaret Thatcher, as Galadriel ), Haldir is less camp (I kept expecting him to launch into a rendition of an ABBA song in the film) and Celeborn is not a cipher.

I noticed that Galadriel's arms are described too - so she must be wearing a sleeveless gown then? Might not seem like much of note, but I do like to picture what characters may be wearing...
Oh but while I think Marian Diamond does very well, I dont' thinkyou can criticise Cate since Galadriel is specifically stated to have a voice deeper than usual for a woman. As for the dress, I imagined wide floaty sleeves ... surely bit nippy for sleeveless in February even for an elf.

I like that there seems to be a fairly consistent elvish style of speaking - light and soft but not weak. David Collings voice is very distinctive but Elrond, Glorfindel and Haldir all tone. I must say from the discussions I got the impression that David Collings knew the books but couldn't get many words in edgeways . I don't think you could play an elf so well without knowing what was going on. Gandalf and Bilbo "fall off the page" so much more and have so much more dialogue.

Anyway I am sorry to ramble - and if I am repeating..I am not up to speed with everything yet but now I have got going again...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote