View Single Post
Old 06-22-2015, 02:35 PM   #3
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I don't want to be a killjoy, but while I would love to see these things and many more present in the movie, I don't think they could be legitimately inserted without significantly lengthening the films. We book fans can recognize the book elements and refer back to the original material for the background. However, imagine a person who has never read the books watches this movie. How are they ever going to understand what the hell is going on with those random ghosts in the Barrow Downs without all the background on ME history and geography that we have? Would they really appreciate Imrahil's appearance? All of these things need more than a one-line explanation. I think that as an independent film, I would not be satisfied with almost any explanation for what things are and why they happen. I think that these details become meaningless when taken just at face value, without their historical context. The films lack the depth and breadth of history that enrich the books, and you can't fix that with minor details.

But I don't want to stop anyone from wishing and suggesting. Fire away! This is just my personal pessimistic two cents.

On a note of better humour, even the book readers can't properly give an answer to "who the hell is Tom Bombadil?"!