View Single Post
Old 12-01-2003, 08:40 AM   #180
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Guthwine:

Guthwine scowled at Kirima. "That fool Lotar wouldn't listen to me. Soran managed to get himself lost. Now, the place is overun with hobbits and men, neighbors of the Farroweeds who are swarming over everything. Lotar should have known better but he insisted on going back himself. They'll be lucky to get out of there alive."

Guthwine turned and stared at Kirima, noting the shocked expression on the woman's face. He lowered his voice and spoke again, this time more gently, "Look, I know what you're thinking....that I'm hard hearted and ruthless....that I couldn't care less whether Soran lives or dies. But things aren't that easy. We have thirty scouts here, give or take a few, and I can't spare a single one if this plan to attack Bree is going to succeed."

"There are hundreds of hungry men, women, and children back in the Weather Hills. And this little group is the only thing that stands between them and starvation. If I lose one man out of thirty to an unfortunate accident in a raid, that's one thing. But if I lose a third of this group trying to go back and stage a valiant rescue, I may make it impossible for that larger group of men and women to survive."

"Kirima, if you want to do something that's worthwhile other than stare at me with a look of disgust, help get these men to load up carts that we stole from the farmers. They need to fill them with food. And they need to get going tonight, rain or no rain! That's the only way those folk will survive. Most of these new recruits I don't trust any more than you do, but Edgar and Tomba are decent men and they've agreed to get the carts through."

Guthwine took a step forward, staring off towards the carts, and muttered under his breath, "I swear I'd make a bargain with a passel of Orcs if I thought it would mean I could save those villagers."

When several of the new recruits began moaning that they were too tired to work any more, Guthwine went over and barked at them to get going. Reluctantly, they began to pack everything into the carts. Guthwine responded gruffly to Kirima, "We could use a woman's hand in organizing this mess. Are you just going to stand there shivering, or try and help us?" Then, Guthwine ran forward and began loading the supplies onto the back of the wagons.

[ 2:55 PM December 01, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]