View Single Post
Old 12-02-2003, 01:46 AM   #185
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Orofaniel's post - Rosie

The sun was about to rise and the darkness to disappear. The morning was to come and Rosie woke. Beside her was Hedgar, still fast asleep. Rosie got up, and dressed. She wore one of her green dresses that morning, the colour she liked best. There were bright flowers on the dress, and it reminded her of spring. The season she liked best of all seasons...

She huddled down to the kitchen in a hurry so that she could make food ready for her husband and for Fippi. "Oh No!" There was no flour left. How could she bake now? Without flour, no baking... Rosie thought and sighed.

Why had she forgotten to take some from the mills the day before? Rosie gave a second sigh. “Oh well, I guess I have to run out to the mills, and see if there’s a bag with flour there,” Rosie said to herself as she grabbed her coat.

She ran across the field while the wind was blowing swiftly in her hair.
“You shouldn’t be running around like that, after what happened this night.” A hobbit cried. “What..?” Rosie cried back.

The Hobbit stood at the other side of the field and she ran faster so she would reach him. “You shouldn’t be running around like that.” The hobbit repeated as she came closer. Rosie could now see that the Hobbit was no less then the gardener to her neighbours.

“I don’t understand….” Rosie said and looked at him. “What has happened?” she said gravely. She knew it had to be something, because the hobbit looked as he was surprised that she didn’t know what had happened.

“Haven’t you heard?” The gardener asked surprisingly.

“You haven’t heard that a group of bandits attacked the Farroweed farm and took many of their belongings?” The hobbit asked Rosie and shook his head. Rosie’s eyes turned blank.

“W-What..?” She asked again in horror. “D-did anyone…..g-get hurt?” She asked again. “No, not that I know of….. They were lucky, I’m tellin’ ya…” The hobbit said still shaking his head from side to side in disgust of the bandits.

“So that’s why I cried for you Rosie.” The hobbits said. “We ought to be careful…You never know what could happen….not even here, a place we thought was safe.” The gardener added.

“Oh, thank you for you kindness,” Rosie said and shook her head as well. “I really hope that those bandits get caught, and of course that the Farroweed’s are fine….” Rosie said.

“I better get that flour quickly then,” Rosie said. “Hm?” The gardener muttered. “Oh, no….it’s just…I’m just going to get some flour at the mill, before I go back home. Silly me, forgot to bring it last night,” Rosie said. “Be careful then, and hurry!” The gardener said.

Rosie said good-bye to the gardener and walked the last bit to the mill. Luckily there was some flour left, so the running over the fields wasn’t in vain. While Rosie walked home, she thought of the bandits. What a horrible thing to do, she thought; to attack the Farroweed’s farm.

“Hedgar dear?” Rosie cried as she opened the door to the Hobbit hole. “Are you awake?” She cried. “Yes, I’m here Rosie,” a voice said. It was obviously Hedgar’s because Rosie found her husband sitting at the table at the kitchen.

“Have you heard…..?” Rosie said, now breathing heavily. “Heard what, honey?” Hedgar asked curiously. Rosie seated at the chair in front of him.

“So, you haven’t heard then?” She asked to be sure. “No…..I don’t think so,” Hedger muttered. “So, what’s this about?” hedger continued. “The Farroweed farm was attacked by bandits,” Rosie said quickly. Hedgar gazed. “A-attacked?”

“Yes, and the bandits stole some of their belongings as well,” Rosie said. “None were hurt however. They were very lucky,” Rosie added. “This is terrible news, my dear,” Hedgar said and rose from the chair. “I know,” Rosie replied and sighed.

“How did you get to know this, Rosie?” Hedgar asked. “Well, this morning I found out that there was not enough flour for baking so I went out to the mills to see if there were any. When I came across the fields the neighbour’s gardener informed me, and told me to be careful,” Rosie said and sighed again. “I agree, we should be careful,” Hedgar said and looked at Rosie. “What about Fippi then? Should we let him go to school?” Hedgar said.

Rosie needed a moment too think about this. She really didn’t want her little boy to be afraid. “Well, let’s not tell him. That will save him from being afraid. The boy doesn’t need to know,” Rosie concluded. The thing Rosie didn’t know was that Fippi had been standing in the next room, and listened to the whole conversation......

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 4:58 PM December 15, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]