View Single Post
Old 12-09-2003, 07:46 PM   #197
Chathol-linn
Animated Skeleton

Chathol-linn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Minastan with the Bandits

Huan Vu was a dappled dark dog. He vanished into the night quicker than his own shadow. Minastan watched him go, thankful that he had learned his letters long ago.

I take your dimwitted meaning, he had written, responding to the Mayor’s code. Now it was time to deliver. Guthwine and Lotar looked upon him with favor but between themselves, there was mistrust.

Here was a coil. Minastan could not risk angering either of them and he did not know which one was better to approach.

They are talking together now, he thought. I will address them both and let them sort it out.

“Well has Gareth been rewarded for his trouble,” said the Ranger aloud, looking from Lotar to Guthwine. “He has kept a good portion from his raid on the farm. Now I can give you a bigger prize, the town itself, and what will be my reward?”

Minastan waited while Guthwine looked him over. No doubt I seem a goodly thief to him! It takes a thief to con one, he thought.

Guthwine leaned close. Minastan disguised his triumph and whispered: “The town hedge is weak at the north! I can lead you into Bree right under their noses. You can have all that you want, and all those at the Weather Hills too. I’ll be wanting as much plunder as I can haul, for they will kill me if I stay, and I need your leave to depart without hindrance.”

Guthwine said, “For my part you have it. I never trusted a traitor in my midst. See that you lead us well or I will kill you myself.”

Minastan thought, I would welcome the contest, bandit. But he smiled as if satisfied. The bandit and the disguised Ranger talked long about getting organized for the attack on Bree.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 7:00 PM December 16, 2003: Message edited by: Chathol-linn ]</font>

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 7:10 PM December 16, 2003: Message edited by: Chathol-linn ]