View Single Post
Old 04-16-2007, 08:05 PM   #732
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Falco had no idea how many men at arms Eodwine had. He had not made it his business to know such things. After all, Eodwine had it well in hand. Well then, I suppose Thornden must have it well in hand with Eodwine gone. Falco hoped so.

Sitting in the kitchen, with Frodides clucking about like an upset hen with her hutch all abother, and Kara, Ginna, and Modtryth running in and out on this or that errand, he had had time to take stock of his own well-being, or mayhap the lack of it. He looked at his forearm. It had a deep cut on the inside, now swathed in a bandage Kath had given. He hadn't noticed this wound at first. It was beginning to sting. He winced. The cloth was turning red. He gritted his teeth. I am not one to faint at the sight of blood! he insisted to himself.

"How many Men does Eodwine have, I wonder?" he said to nobody in particular. "I can't say as I've seen more than Thornden and Garwine as men at arms. You'd think that in two whole months Eodwine would have found more than that. Where's that Trystan off to? At least Garstan and Stigend are stout and hardy enough to help in a pinch. That Léof, now, he ought to be gettin' a horse ready for himself, if you don't mind my saying so. And Manawyth! That fellow's been slinking about too! Sure he's under house arrest and all, but he's still the Eorl's man for all that!"

No one answered him. "And what about you, Master Falco Boffin?" he said to himself. "What are you doing, sitting here like you're done for? What if it were Master Samwise in your place right this minute? What would he do?" Falco had heard the stories. The Mayor had been a douty warrior in his day, fighting off orcs and that gollum creature, and even that huge ugly spider thing! And here he was sitting in a kitchen, acting as if one of the Nazgul had breathed on him or something. He shook his head and stood up, ignoring the pain.

"Now you stay right there, Falco Boffin!" said Frodides the moment she saw him moving. "You're hurt and you'll only get hurt worse if you go back!"

"Not as bad as the Eorl, I'm sure!"

With that, he left the kitchen and made his way back to his pony.

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 04-17-2007 at 09:57 AM.