View Single Post
Old 04-04-2016, 10:15 AM   #51
AndyC
Newly Deceased

AndyC has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegorn View Post
Agreed. I think since it was only resolved later on it only applied to those who were living. I think also, imo, that the Princes of Dol Amroth were denied this choice as well. Not only because I believe the Valar were specific, it seems, to who the choice would be granted, but also because of the state of the Dúnedain. This state being their constant fear of death, even among the Faithful. Faramir informs the Hobbits how this was still the case in M-E. I'm thinking if this were so generally, then I could not see a Prince of the Dúnedain refusing the opportunity of being granted immortality if it was his to choose.
This can be resolved (and I'm sorry for banging on about it ) by taking the viewpoint that mortal blood (in any quantity) = mortality.

It's supported by Mandos' words in The Lost Road, which is, however, a fairly old text. Against that, there's no later text; Tolkien never got that far down the track again.

So if we assume that all Half-Elves are mortal (albeit with phenotypes and vigour affected by Elven heritage) unless specifically awarded The Choice by Manwe, the issues go away.

It is noted in Unfinished Tales (the footnote to Elros' entry in the Tale of Kings, I believe, but I haven't got the books with me) that Elros "capacity for life" was identical to that of Elrond, until the weariness (given by the Gift of Men) grew to the point that he laid down his life (albeit that this was long deferred due to a direct gift of Eru to the Numenoreans in general and Elros' line in particular). I do wonder if this is a trait given to other Half-Elven - that of, I assume, not ageing and dying when laying down their life in weariness of the world (which would, one assumes, come quicker to Half-Elves not given special blessing by Eru of extended longevity) with their children and later descendants having "normal" but slower ageing.

That last paragraph crosses the line into sheer speculation, but it is consistent with and coherent with what we do know.
AndyC is offline   Reply With Quote