View Single Post
Old 10-08-2002, 08:56 AM   #17
Tirinvo
Animated Skeleton

Tirinvo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tirinvo
Tolkien

Quote:
I'd rather not coin new terms like this, honestly. It's one thing to update a Noldorin name to its Sindarin equivelant; it's another to start playing around with new roots and such. We could try to reconstruct a Sindarin form based on the Quenya in Quettaparma, getting around the problem of mixing Quenya and Sindarin names. That would, however, not be especially valid. I'm for either going with Bad Uthwen or removing the name entirely.
I must agree with Aiwendil on the fact that reconstucting the names would do more harm than good and that it would take focus off more important matters.

Quote:
Regarding "Bad Uthwen": I'm really tempted to keep this, too. "Bad" could, as jallanite suggests, easily be rendered with a circumflex; it would then fit the Etymologies perfectly. Nothing like Uthwen is attested later, but that doesn't mean that it is unsuitable.
I think that is very true. It does not mean it is a complete compatibility, though.

Quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FG-T-05 KO
horses were brought {(a grey horse for Tuor)} [, one white for Voronwë and one grey for Tuor;]
I may have taken too much liberty in adding that Voronwe's horse was white, but I can't think of any other reasonable way to introduce the fact that Tuor's horse was grey; all other horses used by the Eldar seem to be white. We might simply use: . . . horses were brought, a grey horse for Tuor . . .; I don't know if that's really awkward or not.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is it really that important to say that his horse was white? Do we even know that? There is a reference that says that elves also used grey horses.
I believe that JRRT had his own purposes for that detail, maybe not. Notwithstanding, I think that this detail must stay, relevant or not.

As for the orc/k situation:
We could either take care of it now and not have to worry about it later, or we can put it off and concentrate on the more important matters at hand. I go for the latter.

[ October 08, 2002: Message edited by: Tirinvo ]