View Single Post
Old 10-28-2002, 04:32 PM   #34
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

I would definitely not support _Tie Leryalo_ for the Way of Escape. It (or any other Quenyanization) is simply too much liberty to take with the name. Neither _tie_ nor _leryalo_ is related to either _bad_ or _uthwen_ etymologically; further, the meaning of the second element would be changed from 'escape' to 'freedom'. There can be no justification for that.

Not that I think it's a bad translation - rather, this will be a problem in any attempt to give it a Quenya name.

I wonder if someone could set out the case against _Bad Uthwen_? This is not meant as a challenge; I would honestly like to have the argument against it neatly summed up so that I (and others) can weigh the matter. The main point of contention must, I suppose, be against _Uthwen_; _Bad_ (with a circumflex) is a perfectly valid Sindarin word, and is even given in Etym. Does anyone know some particular reason that _Uthwen_ should no longer be valid?
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote