View Single Post
Old 01-28-2001, 07:52 PM   #26
Gwaihir the Windlord
Essence of Darkness

Gwaihir the Windlord has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Essence of Darkness
</TD><TD></TD></TR></TABLE>
Re: Galadriel/rings /Maia /greatness and ...

<blockquote>Quote:<hr> Why differentiate between the Three Elven Rings if they were identical? No such distinction is made with regard to the Seven and the Nine. Ring of Air, Ring of Water, Ring of Fire, surely there is a reason for these descriptions which relates to the properties of the Three rings.<hr></blockquote>

There is most certainly a difference. All I'm saying is that I don't think, in terms of 'greatness', there is much difference. They all have different powers; how can one say that one is greater than the other?

This same formula can be applied to the Elves talked about. Feanor is clearly the greatest of the Elves, for not only is he wise, strong, a fell warrior and a brilliant craftsman, but he has the greatest life in him. But one cannot say that Elrond is greater than Glorfindel, or that Galadriel is greater than Elrond. I seem to recall that Galadriel's power is in 'being' (somehow), Elrond's is in Wisdom, and Glorfindel's in combat and such. How can one judge that a wise man is greater than a stratagetical and strong man?

btw, about an overhead attack. Attempting the jump from the top of the ravine would certainly kill anyone; but if a Orc survived long enough to climb halfway down, protected by his armour, perhaps, or a cleft in the rock he has found, does stand a chance of surviving a jump, especially onto soft heather.

Gwaihir the Windlord http://www.barrowdowns.comthe barrow-downs</A>
<FONT size="2.5">'Sing now, ye people of the Tower of Anor,
for the Realm of Sauron is ended for ever,
and the Dark Tower is thrown down.'
</p>