Thread: Quite enjoyable
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2002, 08:51 PM   #7
Kalessin
Wight

Kalessin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have to be honest and say that I don't find the Silmarillion as wonderful as many of the people here, certainly not in comparison to LotR. I appreciate that there is a certain stately and sweeping granduer to the vision, the trademark attentiveness, and what I would call "careful" lyricism in the descriptions of landscape. But the primacy of 'fate'(or predetermination), and the archetypal (ie. also somewhat one-dimensional) nature of the most powerful characters just gives it a more distant and detached feeling for me.

In some ways it does remind me of the major myth cycles I have read, which are impressive or ingenious rather than engaging. Whereas the vulnerability and quirkiness of some of the characters in LotR - in combination with the epic storytelling - are arguably what gives the trilogy its enduring modernity and pre-eminence among Tolkien's works ... along with the fact that it is clearly a "finished" artefact, unlike the Silm.

The title of this thread - "Quite enjoyable" - sums up my reaction to the Silm. But by contrast, I found (and still find) LotR truly compelling.

'Unfinished Tales' is a mixed bag. There are some stories that really provide that intense and personal involvement - and therefore utter frustration when I reached the inconclusive ending (should have read the title of the book - duh [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]). And there are other parts which are all about the painstaking cosmology which leaves me a little cold.

But that is the joy and tragedy of art and literature. It is our own personal and unique experience, through our imaginations we participate in the creative fulfilment of the artists' vision ... and therefore, necessarily, few will share our precise perceptions or interpretation of a work. However, where consensus does appear, it is significant. Hence the triumph of LotR.

Vanima, I am confused by your post! Tolkienism as a religion sounds like a non-sequitor ... or at least strange [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Do tell!

Peace

[ March 27, 2002: Message edited by: Kalessin ]
Kalessin is offline   Reply With Quote