View Single Post
Old 04-20-2002, 10:22 PM   #35
StarCupcake

Sting

"Quest in the Blue", although I strive for its simplicity, is far too complicated to be run together in that (relatively narrow) comment I posted. From the first time I "met" the first of my two main characters (for the boy and girl are equals, and their view point changes every book) Audrie, I knew that this fantasy, this adventure had been in my heart long before I ever set it in paper. It's a whimsical and lyrical series about merry and dark times, but also often presents subtle wisdom on how desperate putting lines between good and evil is. It's the ultimate ode to childhood, in which my characters enter adulthood with all the grace and disgrace that can be expected of teenagers on a quest to prevent their very existence in time being destroyed... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Starbreeze:

There is plenty of romance underlying in "QB", but I have no desire for sexual tones. There might be a vague passionate trace, but there is more love than anything else, if you know what I mean.

I don't have a hard time keeping track of names. I'm so very careful about writing that I almost feel like I've known them and been there for ages. It's like forgetting your own name.

In the opening sequence, the Blue is:
A world upon a lost time, remembered in that strange and beautiful place between sleep and wake. Those in the Blue, indeed, live only on the border of a terrible dream; few have the courage to pass, yet all hope to awake with only the memory of fear in them.

Yes, I have a lot of inspiration from my dreams. I started writing it, in fact, after that odd lull that would later become part of my opening sequence above. I FELT as if I were in the Blue, and from then on I knew that my fate was to write the story.

If the opportunity is given, I would submit my series (once satisfied) without a second doubt to a publisher I respected. I do not aspire to be the next Tolkien or Rowling, I want to be a writer, simply enough.

I am hardly ever satisfied with my work. Sounds disheartening, but true. I doubt any serious writer really is. Even the passage I love most of all is always in question, always with the "Edit" option available.

I love to draw, so I've absentmindedly drawn a few scenes out of QB, but I despise any fantasy work with illustrations, no matter how good they are. I imagine from certain Tolkien editions with drawings stemmed a lot of unnecessary debates about Legolas' damn hair color, Aragorn being "too pretty" or Sam "being fat". Authors in general should withhold too much description, because imagination is the most precious thing you can have when you're brooding alone at night, and dark is all about you.