View Single Post
Old 01-22-2011, 03:59 PM   #29
LadyBrooke
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The modern day version of Edoras: horses, wind, rolling plains =)
LadyBrooke is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to LadyBrooke
I think part of people's reactions to the Kindle might be a generational thing. I'm seventeen so to me the idea of reading something that isn't a physical object isn't odd.

I think another reason that I'm glad that I have one is I don't have a local library. The nearest one is in the next town over and would cost $30 a year to join. If school's not in session I only have the books I won to read unless I can convince my parents to drive me 45 minutes away to the bookstore three towns over. And that bookstore's really only a hole in the wall popular books only store.

Bringing this back to Tolkien, has anybody downloaded any of the books besides LotR? I'm curious if they have more mistakes then LotR since they're less popular than it and therefore mistakes won't be as reported.

If anybody's curious here is current rankings on the Paid Kindle:
LotR#353
TH#404
Silm#2,824
FotR#3,353
TTT#6,562
RotK#6,921
CoH#14,750
UT#14,807
Legend of Sigurd and Gudran (how do we abbreviate that?)#43,458
Letter from Father Christmas(and this?) #44,603

The difference in rankings between FotR and TTT is curious. Are new Tolkien readers downloading FotR to see if the like it and then deciding they don't?

Also the book I think suffers the most by being put on the Kindle is Letters from Father Christmas which I downloaded the sample of because I was curious how they would adapt it. It just looks wrong.