View Single Post
Old 07-16-2000, 10:52 PM   #18
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Newly Deceased
</TD><TD></TD></TR></TABLE>
Re: Which books are canon?

galpsi ,
thanks for your support [or should I say interest]
in the matter of canon and council.
mithadan -I don't doubt for a moment that crrt is prob. deluged w/ middle - earth material and feedback and whatnot and
and that he and the publishers are probably not interested in relinquishing any artistic rights or even fielding suggestions. but... imho
the canon of the silmarillion is the only thing left to do after HoME -as to what elsecrrt would have to say - what I am proposing is of a different order of HoME [which I agree- can only be seen as a herculean labor]
HoME however ,while it
gives us all the peices to the puzzle does not put them together for us- or to drop the metaphor-
leaves the canonical Silmarillion [which I concede may have well been the only realistic Silmarillion doable at the time- and for me was the Old Testament in my early teenage years -so while I am grateful it has been available these many years] the feeling of it being in need of a final version ,incorporating all of the expanded and emmended material from
Unfinished/History is to me the logical next and final step in the &quot;canon&quot;.
I have a few more formal ideas re: this - but I think maybe letting it percolate a bit is a good thing.
galpsi - re: tolkien's conciliarity- I think you are right- to me it is a great pity he did not have the chance{ that I am aware of} to encounter
Orthodox Christianity- the most conciliar of all groups claiming a historical and spiritual transmission from Christ and his Apostles.
His theology in Finrod and Andreth is so full of the flavor of Orthodoxy that I was amazed ... even thogh the Orthodox and Catholics share a common first 1000 years- his theology is markedly different in tone
and depth from anything I have encountered amongst the R.C. 's in recent times.

As to wether or not JRRT would approve ?
I would certainly like to think so- but I think CRRT should have the first crack- and if he formally or silently says nay -then in my opinion we have a duty if I may use so strong a word to complete what JRRT regarded as the heart of the mythos -as more important than lotr.
but I agree a the idea of a council to hash it out on the internet has a certain beauty - even to this repressed luddite wanna-be.
as to the question of legal rights and so forth - if nothing else could be arranged there could be a virtual Silmarillion- where after discussion/debate and voting{?!} the changes from the currently published Silm. could be listed w/ the page and beginings of their source {unfinished/HoME}
so that all changes and could be avail on the net for any one to put together as they will- privately.
so-much for percolatin'.
lindil

</p>Edited by <A HREF=http://www.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_profile&u=00000076>lindil</A> at: 7/17/00 1:04:00 am
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote