View Single Post
Old 03-20-2018, 10:28 AM   #27
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
It's true that films with miserable endings have their place, but - even assuming you could get audiences to go for a downer ending in a fantasy movie - I don't feel like it's true to the spirit of Tolkien. With the exceptions of Aldarion and Erendis and The Children of Hurin, all of his substantial stories end with both loss and hope. A&E doesn't have the latter.
I don't see Aldarion and Erendis as being completely hopeless. After all, if not for Aldarion, first as the King's Heir, giving legitimacy and respectability to the Venturers and their Middle-earth voyages, and establishing the first non-Eldarin ports, would it have been possible for the much later defeat of Sauron by Tar-Minastir?

Not to say, though, that such an eventual fruit would be thought 'positive' enough for modern film. I can more easily see a chastened Aldarion renouncing his 'toxic masculinity' and foregoing his seafaring, then putting forth Erendis as a much wiser, 'caring' person for Ruling Queen, and then dedicating his life to shepherding and tree-planting.