View Single Post
Old 05-28-2006, 09:09 PM   #331
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Eodwine listened to Kara, trying very hard not to betray how much he wanted her to feel welcome and confident. If one is to play the part of an eorl, one must withhold judgement, at least in seeming. So he said to himself, but he wasn't sure if it rang true, nor if he could achieve such a goal. When Kara had finished speaking, he was greatly pleased with her words, for she had spoken in a way that he tried to speak to others. She was looking down, waiting for his words.

"Frodides has told me the same of you, Kara, that your skills of the board have vastly improved since you first came to us, and you were no mean cook then. There is a problem, however."

Kara looked up then, worriting in her eyes and a sudden down turn on her lips.

"Frodides wishes to stay on, you see."

Kara swallowed. Her fear was obvious, that the Mead Hall needed but one cook.

"Nevertheless, Frodides has told me that though she wishes to stay on for now, she says that she wishes to only if she can have you as apprentice. For though she knows that you have learned much, there is much more she wishes to teach you. And I would have your learn these things."

By now Kara's frown had disappeared and her eyes had lit up, and she seemed eager.

"I ask you, Kara, will you agree to an apprenticeship of a year and a day under the tutelage of Frodides?"

Kara looked to Frodides, who was smiling and nodding, seemingly quite happy with herself and the prospect of having Kara as her student.

Kara smiled. "I have told you already, lord, that this is a good place. I do not wish to leave."

Eodwine smiled warmly, for he liked Kara well. There were things about her that reminded him of the daughter he had lost, or of how he imagined she might have turned out had she lived.

"Then you shall stay."

"Thank you, lord!" Kara smiled.

"I called you so early that you and Frodides could be excused to your work in the kitchens. Off with you! We shall be wanting good food after this hungry work." Eodwine grinned and winked.

Kara grinned as she scurried off to the kitchen, Frodides limping after.

"Next, I call Léof!" Eodwine said. The lad came forward, barely limping at all anymore on his hoof-stomped right foot, and stood before Eodwine.

"You know my questions, Léof, but I will repeat them. What think you of service to me? How have you fared?"