View Single Post
Old 06-04-2006, 12:23 PM   #343
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Thornden paused a moment before giving Eodwine his answer. Thoughts of the last month passed through his mind. In a second’s time, vivid recollections of conversations and incidents came back to him.

“My lord,” he finally said, looking directly at Eodwine, “I came here without expectations of a stewardship. I may very well have the abilities to stand in your place – to speak with the people who come here, to keep tallies and records in books, to stay here when you go and oversee everything when you can not - but this is not what I came here to do and I do not think that I really am fully prepared to take on all these responsibilities in your absence. When the lady Linduial was kidnapped, we could have had the chance to test my abilities as steward, yet we did not. I went with you and Merenil stayed here. He took the place of a steward.

“I would, therefore, that you did not give to me the place of your steward, for I don’t think that I have truthfully earned it. I do not want to leave, though. I am still willing to be your servant, as your almsbudsman and also one who will be here to help Gárwine keep your halls clear of men or anyone else who mean harm. I would that I could stay at your side always; to ride forth with you when you have to go, and to come back only when you return.

“Give me the place I first came to ask for and I will be satisfied. Find another, better man for your steward. A man who, in your time of need, will not fail you. A man with more years and experience, for I am yet full young to take such a position as you have offered.”

Thornden subsided into silence. He hoped, but was not quite sure, that the people did not take his words as words of cowardice or defeat. He had not come to take the place of the Eorl’s steward. It would prove to be a heavy burden in time, and Thornden thought that though he could bear it, he would not always necessarily bear it well, and Eodwine would soon wish for a man closer to himself in years and experience.

More than anything, though, he hoped Eodwine would understand. He would not for anything have his eorl believe him to be a coward.