View Single Post
Old 02-20-2013, 01:37 PM   #54
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Cloud Hicklin
(...) So if there was a bump which he perceived as being an organic 'bud' he would often leave it unpruned and see how it grew- but one can hardly say that of things like Eomer's "three nights ago;" either he got word of the Orc-raid three nights or four nights prior, it can't have been both.
I agree, some things we must simply accept as errors... Frodo's errors

And something like Finrod being Galadriel's father (first edition)... then Finarfin being her father, would be another type of inconsistency that might call for a finger pointing at Tolkien or at least some internal scribe perhaps. But this statement from Galadriel has a measure of wiggle room in it I think. Even within the context of its original conception, one would think Galadriel really means two ranges of mountains, although I suppose she could have gone round the Misty Mountains.

And even though I use 'game' I think Tolkien thought this important enough. Christopher Tolkien notes his father's concern for consistency in the author-published texts, although Tolkien also chose to undermine himself in places (in my opinion, the Finrod case for example), and so he was hardly consistent even with respect to text already in print.

And we know that Tolkien intended some variation within his legendarium, which arguably helped make his creation seem more real, not less, but obviously no one wants the unintended kind.
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote