View Single Post
Old 01-15-2003, 06:40 PM   #83
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Rie flushed again at Tarondo's joke. "I'm not usually that clumsy," she insisted, "I just...slipped." She laughed. "But I wouldn't say no to some help--there's no shortage of brooms in this Inn!"

Just as she said that, Cami announced a break for all the workers. Rie turned back to Tarondo and shrugged. "Well, perhaps later," she said. Out of the corner of her eye she saw Don standing by the wall, looking uncomfortable. "It's been a pleasure to meet you, and maybe you could show me some cobweb-cleaning tips after the break, but I have somebody that I need to talk to right now, if you'll excuse me."

Tarondo did, and she went over to Don. "Feeling all right?" she asked.

"Fine," Don replied.

Rie studied her for a moment in silence. Then she nodded. "Want to go for a walk? It's nice outside."

"Oh...oh, sure," Don said, and Rie led her out of the Inn.

They hurried outside to go on the walk. Don kept finding flowers and picking them, while looking wistfully at the beautiful flowers that grew in the gardens. "Those flowers are more beautiful than these wild ones," said Don.

"No, they're not. Even those these flowers are wild they can still be beautiful. You're wild," said Rie.

"And ugly."

Rie looked closely at the hobbit girl. She certainly wasn't beautiful, but her brown curls that crowned her head wildly, her large and soft brown eyes like a deer's, her rosy cheeks... this child was beautiful in her own special way.

Rie took one of the blue flowers from Don's hands and stuck it in the girl's hair. "That little flower is beautiful, and so are you."
A smile came to Don's face, but all she did was pick another flower from the ground.

[ January 16, 2003: Message edited by: Orual ]