View Single Post
Old 01-16-2003, 02:34 PM   #106
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Pio had smiled graciously at Derufin, saying she would be most grateful if he would bring her a plate of food. And a goblet of watered wine if he would. She cast a critical eye at the banquet table, noting Cami had dragged out the best goblets for this affair. The thought of clumsy fingers breaking the crystal amused her for a moment. They were a horror to clean, and she hoped that many of them would find their glassy fëas seeking the ‘crystal’ Halls of Mandos by the end of this evening.

‘Now that was a nice young man, Miz Pio.’ remarked the Old Dragon, watching the retreating form of Derufin. ‘Your husband have any of his looks and manners?’ Pio laughed, wondering what Mithadan would make of this remarkable old lady.

‘Oh, Mithadan is quite the charmer in his own way. A little older, his face has more character, I think.’ Pio pulled the plate Derufin had fixed for himself over to her. ‘Do you think he would mind if I ate just a little. That was an awfully long ride back from your house, Amaranthas.’

Samwise was just passing their table, bound for the buffet. Amaranthas reached out her cane and hooked his arm with the handle of it, bringing him to a halt. ‘Master Gamgee! I see you’re on your way to the food and drink. Be a dear and help out a poor old lady with aching bones. Fetch us a bottle of that fancy wine over there and three glasses. My throat is so parched I can hardly speak.’

Samwise politely nodded his head at Amaranthas, barely concealing a smile. Poor old lady, indeed! She was as spry as any in the room, just a little slower. And hardly speak?! That would be the day. Still, she was a venerable elder, and he bowed slightly to her, saying he would be right back with it.

‘Now I wonder where Rose and the children are?’ he heard her saying as he hurried off on his errand. ‘I hope he hasn’t left that poor girl at home while he’s off gallivanting with Frodo again!’