View Single Post
Old 01-16-2003, 03:46 PM   #108
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Rie leaned on the wall, one foot propped up against it and her arms crossed. She smiled as she watched Don. She was quite a unique girl, and Rie was getting pretty fond of her. She listened to all that was said, but didn't venture forth into the reunion--this was Don's moment, not Rie's. Though she did envy her a little bit...to Rie, these visitors were all heroes out of her father's stories, not friends and mentors.

She was deep in her own thoughts when she felt Don grab her hand. "What--" she began, but Don wasn't listening. She half-dragged Rie up to Bilbo. Her face was grave as she introduced them.

Rie suddenly felt awkward, and even--dare she say it?--shy, which was not a feeling that Rie was used to. She was generally an outgoing, extroverted, in-your-face type of girl, the one who went up to newcomers with a great smile and merrily introduced herself, as she had when she first came to the Inn. But now all she wanted to do was go back to the wall, push Don back in front of Bilbo and let them talk, and be left alone. Why?

"Bilbo, this is Rie," Don announced, sounding very important. "Rie, this is Bilbo."

"A pleasure to meet you, Rie," Bilbo said solemnly, joining in Don's mood, shaking Rie's hand. His eyes were sparkling, though.

"Very nice to meet you," Rie said, hoping she wasn't blushing. What was wrong with her? She was never like this, never. Her father had some fairly important people come to their house before, but even then Rie hadn't been so painfully shy. She glanced quickly at Nuru, who looked puzzled. She made a barely noticeable face, for Nuru alone, that said "I don't know what's wrong with me, but it sure is something." She bit her lip, and tried to smile as brightly as she could. "So, you know Don?"