View Single Post
Old 04-23-2004, 06:57 AM   #122
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
Fordogrim felt a light familiar touch on his arm and he awoke with a start. At first, he did not know where he was but remembrance came quickly. I’m on watch, he cursed himself, and here I am falling asleep on the job! A welcome voice called out to him and he looked up into the suddenly bright night Where did the fog go? And what’s that full moon doing up there, he’s not due for another week? and saw Prim standing in the grass looking down at him with that lovely little smile of hers.

She was not as he had seen her before she went away, but young and lovely once more, with round cheeks like apples and that complexion like fresh cream. Fordogrim smiled like roses blooming. “Why Prim!,” he cried, “What are you doing here? Not that you aren’t a sight for my tired old eyes.”

Prim only smiled. “Hello, Grim my love. Are you well?”

“As well as can be, my dear, what with the journey that we’re on. Did you know…”

She laid her hand on his arm, cutting him off, and said, “Grim. I’ve been getting your letters, I know all about it. You’ve been very hard on young Marcho, you know, he’s only been doing what he thinks is best.” He looked down at the grass and mumbled something inaudible. Prim continued, “How are Harold and Sarah? And the children?”

“May and Henry are well, if a fine couple of trouble-makers. You should be that proud of Mayflower, Prim, she grows more and more like you every day. Such a spirit she has! Harold’s well, although he and I are having a bit of rough patch right now. He’s kind of stuck, I think, between home and where we’re going and I can’t help but wish that he were unstuck, and unstuck my way, if you know what I mean.” He looked up at his wife and saw that she did. He smiled. “We nearly had some words just earlier today, but he’s like you in that he knows when to hold his tongue and let his actions do his talking for him” his mind went back to the hug he had received from his son. “He’s not like his father in that way at all is he my love?”

“No, Grim, he isn’t. But he’s like you in other ways. Remember how he charged after the wolves with you? At least we know he’s as thoughtless and fool-headed as his father.”

“Maybe, maybe.” Fordogrim brooded a bit more before speaking. “I’m afraid that I was something quick with Sarah as well. She tried to speak with me today about things, but I was that bebothered and confusticated by Harold that I kind of snapped back at her and refused to speak with her properly. I’m afraid that she and I are just never going to see eye to eye on things.” He recalled with shame the curt words he had used in response to Sarah’s desire to talk with him about the family. She had chosen a bad moment – Fordogrim was still angry about the journey and feeling in a fouler and fouler mood with each day that passed. He didn’t want anything but a fight at the moment.

“You should try harder to get along with them, you know” Prim said. “They are your family. Sarah’s a difficult person, I know, but so are you! And she is our Harold’s wife, and look how much he loves her!”

“You’re right, I know, but it’s that hard for me to get along with folk, and it only seems to have got harder since you went away.” He looked up at Prim and marvelled at her beauty. “How did you get here my love? And why are you looking so well? You look just like you did the day we met, and I know that’s not possible…”

She smiled at him once more and cupped his chin in one hand. Leaning close she kissed him on his forehead. “Maybe you’re dreaming.”

“Aye, I think I am.” And with a start, he awoke.

Last edited by Fordim Hedgethistle; 04-23-2004 at 09:26 AM.