View Single Post
Old 08-28-2004, 10:02 AM   #44
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perky Ent
Several things in the letter intrigued me. First off, how Gandalf knew Frodo used It. If it's explained in the book, I apologize for my ignorance, but does Gandalf have the ability to sense it, in one way or another?
I like to think that Gandalf was referring to Bilbo’s use of the ring while in the Shire, when he uses the term ‘again’.

Quote:
The Enemy has set traps for me before now. As soon as I had made up my mind, I was ready to tell you whatever you asked. But I must admit,' he added with a queer laugh, 'that I hoped you would take to me for my own sake. A hunted man sometimes wearies of distrust & longs for friendship.
I agree with davem that it is altogether too easy to forget the troubles that Aragorn had been facing prior to this point, especially later in the story. But this I believe is directly a result of his commanding presence. Like many I have seen in real life, he seems so ‘in control’, one assumes that all aspects of his life are also in order.

I agree with with Helen that Aragorn generally has a valid reason for being abupt. I was tempted to think in this current instance with Butterburr, that the innkeeper actually slammed rangers first, provoking a negative reaction. But Helen’s remark about Aragorn knowing that he was Frodo’s best hope, seems much more in keeping with the character.

Lalwendė, I think that your comment about the poem being applicable to Gandalf is a interesting observation.

And yes, one certainally can make out a connection between Merry and the wraiths. One that I hadn't been aware of until reading through the story again with the benefit of these threads!

One point that I would like to mention is how Aragorn at times speaks of Strider as though he is a different individual.
Quote:
“Well,” said Strider, “with Sam’s permission we will call it settled. Strider will be your guide."
It is as if Aragorn is reaching into his closet and is picking out which hat to wear. And since he has been known by quite a few names, I wonder if he acted similarly when he was known as Thorongil. Like Gandalf, these names seem to be given him, rather than being chosen by him to mark a change, (as Turin seemed fond of doing). Is this to imply that he is always the same, though different people view him one way or another? Golden always, but at times well worn and at others polished.
Hilde Bracegirdle is offline   Reply With Quote