Thread: Snow angels
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2007, 07:42 AM   #93
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Leaf hunka hunka hunka burning fëa

Let me tell you 'bout the birds and the bees
And the flowers and the trees
And the moon up above
And a thing called e ... e... e ... elves

Quote:
Originally Posted by alatar
Were the elves the 'honey bees' of the forest and grassy plains?
I think you are on something here, alatar. While your survey of the effects of Seventh Age tornados fails to uncover any burnt blades, we do know that many processes in Middle earth have faded. We also know that with elves, their fëa gradually burns away their hröa (possibly a speedier form of composting?), so clearly they have an excess of energy, once could say. Why, I could even rewrite Einstein's famous equation for this if only I knew how to make the nifty raised square sign.

So great is this energy in elves that it is well to remember the fate of Fëanor, whose very name signifies this process. Remember that his hröa was completely consumed by his fëa upon his death. I don't have to mention how hot this must have made the Great Elf, as we all know what temperatures are needed to cremate a human body. Now, if this was true of Fëanor, it must be true at least in some measure for Legolas, who is undoubtedly the hottest elf of the Third Age.
He was, after all, instrumental in the regreening of Ithilien--making it the fairest land in all the west--after the fall of Sauron, so he must have had an extraordinary hand at pollinating. Perhaps the lack of burnt blades could simply be attributed to his artful use of withdrawing his fëa so that his hröa as well as the grass was not consumed.