Thread: Of Men
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2023, 07:51 AM   #19
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Findegil View Post
I don't see that we will find common ground here, between the two of us. I would like to hear some other voices.

respectfully
Findegil
I haven't even looked at this chapter yet. I do honestly feel that proceeding in an orderly way and focusing on one chapter at a time has served us better than trying to work on everything simultaneously, but perhaps that's just me. (And I do realize that my slowness and absence hasn't helped.)

However, I will jump in to say that I am against taking up this material from "Gilfanon's Tale". Not only because of the "Tale of Adanel", but because Tolkien very clearly seems to have decided, post-LT, that the earliest history of Men should not be directly depicted, and should be left ambiguous. Gilfanon's Tale is the tale of the Fall, which Tolkien later explicitly said (in Letter 131) does not appear in his Legendarium:

Quote:
The first fall of Man, for reasons explained, nowhere appears – Men do not come on the stage until all that is long past, and there is only a rumour that for a while they fell under the domination of the Enemy and that some repented
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote