View Single Post
Old 05-27-2003, 11:15 AM   #406
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Fosco jerked his head back in surprise as Bird pulled her hand away and began scolding him. He sat back and brushed the tears from his eyes, fighting the new ones threatening to come up, for his mother would have never treated him in that way if he was sorrowful and needed comfort. He folded his arms and watched as Bird chased the henchman who was keeping an eye on them out of the house. Then she turned back to him and asked him hurriedly to tell him what Ferny was planning.

Fosco stared at her. She had treated him in such a cold and uncaring way, and now she expected him to talk to her. She was crazy. "I won't tell you," he said, closing his eyes and raising his chin stubbornly. "You're too mean."

Bird stared at him for a few moments, puzzling it out. How could she make someone so young as him understand, especially when he was so upset? "Fosco, listen," she said firmly. "We can't let Ferny and his henchmen know we're friends."

"You mean..." Fosco hesitated and gave her a strange look, as though he didn't really trust her. Probably trying to think of an excuse to scold me again. "You mean we have to look like we hate each other?"

"Yes, and then we can escape. But, Fosco, you must tell me Ferny's plans."

And then Fosco told her the whole story, beginning at the most unecessary points, such as that Pio was going to have twins and his mother was to be a midwife. At last Bird had heard everything. Ferny was going to kidnap Pio's twins. Bird's mind began to work quickly.

[ May 31, 2003: Message edited by: Nurumaiel ]