View Single Post
Old 03-18-2012, 01:52 PM   #1
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril Unfinished Tales - Part Three - II - Cirion and Eorl

...and the Friendship of Gondor and Rohan

Tolkien begins this chapter with a metafictional reference to the "Chronicles of Cirion and Eorl", a document which does not exist, but parts of which are related in this account. The first section, "The Northmen and the Wainriders", is historical in character, with no dialogue and little character development. One interesting fact gives a theoretical reason for the lack of population in Middle-earth - the Great Plague. The bulk of this section is about the battle with the Wainriders.

The second section, "The Ride of Eorl", has a more narrative character. We get to know the protagonists through their thoughts, words, and actions. Both Cirion and Eorl are worthy of interest and admiration. The detail I find most fascinating is the protective mist that came from Lothlórien! Apparently it was part of the effort to fight against the darkness of Dol Guldur, but it also shielded the Éothéod from their enemies. I can't help but wonder if Galadriel had seen their coming in her mirror?

In the third section, we read about about Halfirien, or Amon Anwar, and the special significance it had for Gondor, and later on for Rohan. We also read more concerning the friendship between the two leaders and subsequently their people. I found this to be enjoyable reading and really liked getting to know the two main characters.

Finally we have the fourth section, "The Tradition of Isildur", which gives us the prequel to the preceding story.

Then come over 12 pages of notes!

How interesting do you find the information in this chapter? Which section is your favourite? What do you think of the characters and the history this gives? Did the notes add anything that you like?
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote