View Single Post
Old 01-28-2002, 02:37 PM   #5
Thingol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Thingol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have never read anywhere about the Haven's having a different type of air that increased anyone's life span. Elves under the rule of Cirdan (who originally had the Narya, but gave it Gandalf when he arrived in Middle Earth) dwell there and elves are imortal. As for Gimli I guess the quote from the appendix of The Return of the King is not conclusive evidence, but I've always liked the thought of Gimli joining Legolas and meeting Galadriel again, and I feel that it is consistent with the spirit of Tolkien's work. Durelen is also probably correct about Frodo only going to Tol Eressea, (an island slightly east of Valinor) that is where the elves seem to sail to. I have a question though, were elves allowed to sail back and forth from Tol Eressea whenever they chose? The great harbors and ships of the Teleri at Alqualonde seem to indicate that elves from Valinor were allowed to do some sailing, but were the elves at Tol Eressea allowed to do the same? By the way, I love your signature Durelen.

[ January 28, 2002: Message edited by: Thingol ]
Yet the lies that Melkor, the mighty and accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days.
Thingol is offline   Reply With Quote