View Single Post
Old 02-11-2002, 10:52 AM   #29
Tar Elenion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tar Elenion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Originally posted by Man-of-the-Wold: Also, appreciate the reference to Letter #153, Tar Elenion.
You are welcome.

Quote:
Hmmm. Well for me the Quenta Silmarillion is what it is, and presumably written from the Elvish point-of-view, except for the "Children of Hurin" and some other tales. So, in the case of The History of Middle-Earth, I'm inclined to look at contradictory references as simply another way that Tolkien's complete works "could" have been written or explained.
Personal preferences are entirely acceptable. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Quote:
Also, I thought that The Lord of the Rings contained a few implied references to the vast Ages of Starlight. The reference to the Sun's and Moon's appearance has major implications in The Silmarillion (Morgoth's early impotency, ending of the Sleep of Yavanna, legacy of the Two Trees, etc.). So, I find it hard to put it aside very easily, but I have often wondered if it were somehow more figurative than literal, because of the plants that clearly lived and went right on living when Anar first rose. Or, maybe one could think of a great temporal conjunction!
Gimli's song in Khazad-dum has an 'unstained moon' when Durin 'awoke'. He also uses the light of sun and moon in crystal lanterns. This is before the 'mythological' awakening of Men, and hence before the Sun and Moon as per The Silmarillion.
A similar case could be made for Galadriel's
'I sang of leaves'.

[ February 11, 2002: Message edited by: Tar Elenion ]