View Single Post
Old 05-20-2005, 05:00 AM   #56
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril

I wouldn't say so, actually - even since Alk's creation of the first picture page, I've still had quite set images of people, even if they don't conform with the real appearances. You might imagine them as RPG characters, or as some aspect of their avatar, or according to something particular that they've said or just the general way in which they speak - the pictures just give another aspect, I suppose. Careful how you chose your avatar in particular, because they can become a person's image almost as easily: Estelyn Telcontar will always be Princess Fiona from Shrek! Similarly, Durelin will always be fixed as the avatar that she had for a rather lengthy period of time - a rather spooky, downright evil looking spirity style thing, which I actually set as my desktop and xanga background for a while, it was just so mysterious and fantastic. And if that means that some people imagine me as a little dancing imp...

Usernames are probably the one image-creator that we can't get away from, and more so if your avatar fits it! If the character is one from one of the films, it's somewhat natural to image you as that actor or actress - Eomer of the Rohirrim will always be Brad wotsit to me Even if your character isn't a film one, due to the many illustrations of Tolkien characters there have been over the years, in books, exhibitions and the internet, if you have a well enough known character, there's bound to be some illustration that will be set to your name eventually - Luthien_tinuviel is a prime example.

If I don't know the Downer well when you first see their picture, or not well enough to have built up an image in your head, the photograph becomes their image in my mind; but every person who I remember having been through the Green Dragon, unless I get to know them better or play with them later, is basically stuck with that image! Snowdog, for example: sure, I've now seen what he really looks like - but the name Snowdog still conjures up a shady looking cloaked individual smoking a pipe in the corner of the Green Dragon. The real appearances of some Downers doesn't change my mental image of them