View Single Post
Old 09-19-2002, 04:46 PM   #16
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

Susan Delgado has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Susan Delgado Send a message via AIM to Susan Delgado
The Eye

Hello, Faye Took, Carneiach, and Ringwraith Number Two! Welcome to the Shire. Come, pull up a chair, we will converse.

As far as history is concerned, we should all be pretty familiar with the area, so I'll just recount some of the recent events around here.
Will Whitfoot is still Mayor of the Shire, but rumors abound about his upcoming retirement. Word is, Samwise Gamgee, who left the Shire to fight in the War, is going to be elected in his place. The truth is, Sam still mourns for the departure of his longtime friend and master, the fabulous Frodo Baggins and has no thought to spare for politics. His eldest daughter, Elanor, is growing up to be the most beautiful little lass anywhere around.
Masters Meriadoc Brandybuck and Peregrin Took have settled in Buckland and The Marish, respectively. They and Master Samwise seem to be very contented Hobbits.
Looks can be deceiving, however. Merry and Pippin find their safe, sedentary lives comfortable but confining and not very exciting and Sam misses his old friends. All of them would like to see mountain and rivers again, go on another adventure like the one at the end of the last Age. Well, perhaps not exactly like that one.
While Sam is in contact with Rivendell and has been there a few times over the years, it isn't the same. He looks East, toward Gondor and Mordor and wishes he could go there one more time, but he must always return to the Shire.
Knowing this, you can imagine how excited he was when Mayor Whitfoot approached him with King Elessar's invitation. Who better to send on a mission to Minas Anor than those who'd gone with the King to the very slopes of the Ephel Duath and back?

----------
First Post
----------

Sam urged his pony along, impatient to get to The Marish as soon as he could. The pony, one of old Bill's fine sons, was none too eager to hurry up. He was just fine moving at a sedate walk, and nothing Sam did seemed to make any impression at all on the beast. Finally, Sam gave up on making the pony go faster and settled to gritting his teeth. He had such news for Merry and Pippin! Eventually, he did reach his destination, and beyond it Buckland, but to his extreme disappointment, neither of his old friends felt they could get away, though they wished they could. Each did recommend someone trustworthy to send in his stead and each wished him well.

Merry introduced him to young Orlo Hornblower, a lad seemingly barely out of his Tweens, but who came so highly recommended by the Master of Buckland that Sam found himself with no choice but to accept him.

Pippin was distraught at being unable to go with Sam to see all their old friends and tried most valiantly to arrange matters so he could, but in the end he was unable to. He sent along a third cousin named Odo Took and his twelve-year-old nephew, Brando. It was a long road to Gondor and Sam didn't want to take a child, especially the child of such a good friend as Pippin. He tried to talk Pippin out of sending him, but Pippin was so insistent that the experience would be good for the boy that Sam finally gave in, hoping nothing dire would happen. If something did happen to hurt Brando, Sam would never forgive himself.

The four of them made the three-day journey back to Michael Delving, to report to the Mayor. While less than pleased at the inclusion of a twelve-year lad like Brando, he was so pleased that Sam had agreed to go to the East Farthing and broach the matter with Merry and Pippin in his place that he indulgently allowed the boy to go, but he also insisted on his own prospect, a sturdy Hobbit of middle years named Hardo Proudfoot.

They all went back to Sam and Rosie’s pleasant little house and settled in for the night. There was more preparation to do before they departed, but with luck, they'd leave before the week was out.

----------
Ok, I need an Orlo, an Odo and Brando, and a Hardo. If you want, you can share Brando equally, or you can switch him off between you on a regular basis. I recommend the latter; it would give all of you practice at controlling more than one character at the same time, rather than have one of you do it the whole game. Discuss it amongst yourselves and let me know.
All the names are negotiable.
----------

Please pm me as soon as possible so I can start getting to know you.

[ September 19, 2002: Message edited by: Susan Delgado ]