View Single Post
Old 02-24-2006, 08:26 AM   #38
drigel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

drigel has just left Hobbiton.
great points all. I love this blog.

Quote:
It's the brazen, arrogant ingratitude that sticks in my craw.
It was a strategy that needed dicipline, that's all. IMO Turgon, of all the Kings, came to the realization early (before his inheritance of the thrown) that success would only come from the West, and not from the swords of the Noldor. Different strategy, as in not running around with all that overt hacking and slashing.

Quote:
imagine if Aragorn decided to lock himself up in a tower and not actually get out there and lead the people?
Imagine if Aragorn was in semi regular conversations with a Vala who offered advice...

Quote:
As seen with the reaction of Eol, I can well imagine that Turgon might have encountered difficulty in fostering allegiance from all the Elves.
I wouldnt go that far with that conclusion. It was his sister, after all. Those are some great insights into the psychology of Adredhel, though Lal! Thank you for helping me walk a few steps in her evlish sandles!

Quote:
And why do you have such a high opinion of Finrod and a low opinion of Turgon when the policies they set for their kingdoms were exactly the same? I detect a double-standard here.
The only difference there that I would bring up being that Finrod's kingdom was hidden, and Turgon's (until the last) was inviolate. Only Melian had success at this. If only Finrod had some of Turgon's haughty snobbery, his kingdom would have lasted longer....

Quote:
Turgon, a bit like the guy who sees someone being beaten up but has his best clothes on, so instead he rings the police when he gets home. Not quite doing the right thing.
To me he did what needed to be done, especially towards the end. After all, his deeds ultimately and finally led to what Mithalwen succintly said: The salvation of all the children of Ea. King indeed.

Last edited by drigel; 03-01-2006 at 11:39 AM.
drigel is offline   Reply With Quote